VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

From SMC S to a higher SMC rating

Rate this question

Pathfinder2/39

Question

Good morning fellow Vets,

I'm currently receiving SMC (S) and I recently got awarded 40% TBI and 50% TBH. Since my previous ratings included a 100% respiratory and 70% PTSD would I qualify for a higher degree of SMC? 

• HadIt.com Elder

You can file for any condition that was caused by your military service or a condition secondary to an existing condition , these secondary conditions becomes part of the original condition once they rate it.

I have two SMC's and also I have other conditions that I could file for and get S.C. and rated, but there's no more compensation for these conditions, but they could be s.c. and rated...other than just getting the % build up way higher over the 100%    would make it hard for them to reduce below the 100& in case a Proposal to reduce my benefits.

I elect to just stay where I am due to my age 67 and only need 3 more years for the 20 year protection...in the mean time if I get a proposal to reduce  before my 20 year protection  I will Appeal and keep appealing it until i get in the 20 years in,  but if I appeal I will have the evidence to sub-stain what I do have and may even file for more conditions at this time that could be S.C. and Rated.

• HadIt.com Elder

What sort of situation do you need to be in to get A&A beyond Housebound?  I am thinking you need to be bedridden, in a wheelchair or in a nursing home.  I applied for special housing needs and was denied because although I am housebound I have use of all my limbs.  My reasoning was to VA that would it be better for me to fall and end up in VA nursing  home, or to help me now to avoid that expensive fate.   VA does not care about that.  They just refer to rules that are cookie cutter and mindless.  VA is set on denial of claims to save money in the here and now.  Never mind future savings.  This is why they are always behind the eight ball and cannot provide care and benefits to future generations of vets.  No one at the VA actually thinks.  They just refer to inflexible rules and hide behind them.  Of course, if you want benefits from VA you have to obey those rules no matter how dumb.

7 hours ago, Buck52 said:

You can file for any condition that was caused by your military service or a condition secondary to an existing condition , these secondary conditions becomes part of the original condition once they rate it.

I have two SMC's and also I have other conditions that I could file for and get S.C. and rated, but there's no more compensation for these conditions, but they could be s.c. and rated...other than just getting the % build up way higher over the 100%    would make it hard for them to reduce below the 100& in case a Proposal to reduce my benefits.

I elect to just stay where I am due to my age 67 and only need 3 more years for the 20 year protection...in the mean time if I get a proposal to reduce  before my 20 year protection  I will Appeal and keep appealing it until i get in the 20 years in,  but if I appeal I will have the evidence to sub-stain what I do have and may even file for more conditions at this time that could be S.C. and Rated.

Thank you

8 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Thank you