VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Knee injury 40 years ago while on Active Duty worth filling claim for?

Rate this question

George M. Jr.

Question

I served in the US Army from 1978 to 1982. In 1979 I hurt my knee while on active duty during physical training. It has never been the same since. I have seen my private Orthopedic Surgeon many times and his last diagnosis is a Total Knee Replacement. 

I was able to get a copy of my service medical records and it’s documented in there that I suffered the injury while on active duty and I saw medical personnel for treatment.  I have not submitted a VA claim for this yet. 

Has anyone successfully submitted a VA claim for this type of injury and were you successful in getting it approved? 

I am interested in getting help with my deductible for the surgery, which even with 90% coverage private insurance, I’ll have to come up with $2,500 for my share and the deductible. I am making $13 per hour and live paycheck to paycheck and don’t see myself able to save that amount or am able to get any more loans or credit to do so. 

Thanks in advance 

George M. Jr. 

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

yes file a claim ASAP or File the Intent to file a claim (ITF)

You quoted

''I served in the US Army from 1978 to 1982. In 1979 I hurt my knee while on active duty during physical training. It has never been the same since.

did you report this and actually have the medical report in your possession? if you don't you need to get these medical records as evidence the injury happen while in the military.

ok you have that..this is GREAT!

Now you need to get a Dr VA or Private to state in their medical opinion  it is likely as not your knee injury that you reported on date (while serving in the military  is likely as not that your having problems with your knee today  I have examine this veteran and read his medical records  and again its my opinion that this veteran injury was due to the incident that happen while he was in the military.

Here basically what you need.

To support a claim for service connection, the evidence must show the following:

You have a current physical or mental disability.

You had an injury or disease in service or experienced an event in service that caused or aggravated an injury or disease.

There is a link between your current disability and the event, injury or disease in military service.

If you have any of the following relevant items, you should submit them with your claim:

Discharge or separation papers (the DD-214 or equivalent).

Service treatment records and supporting statements.

Private medical provider records and hospital reports.

• HadIt.com Elder

And Welcome to Hadit.

I agree with Buck.  It is gonna take some time to get this service connected, but why not get your treatment at the VAMC?  

It should save you deducatbles and copays.  I just had a total knee replacement at the VA (from a in service fracture) and, even tho its not sc (yet), I paid zero for the TKR.  

If not service connected for anything, you may have to pass a "means" test.  Basically, if you dont have/make very much money, you may not have any copays or deductables.  Go to your VAMC and ask them..while you are applyng for sc.