VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

CBO Options for Reducing the Deficit: 2019 to 2028 Published Dec 2018

Rate this topic

• Founder

@broncovet is right these are proposals and that is a long way from law. So it's a good heads up about what is be discussed, but is not written in stone and shouldn't cause you undue worry until something is actually moving through congress.

WHY does IU always come up on the chopping block?  Don't these people realize that if a veteran has IU, his social security payments are almost nonexistent due to the very fact of the unemployability?  This proposal would affect Vietnam vets more than any others. Let's work together to make sure that these proposals never see the light of day!

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2019 at 1:26 PM, marina53 said:

WHY does IU always come up on the chopping block?  Don't these people realize that if a veteran has IU, his social security payments are almost nonexistent due to the very fact of the unemployability?  This proposal would affect Vietnam vets more than any others. Let's work together to make sure that these proposals never see the light of day!

Actually the statement is not entirely correct   " Don't these people realize that if a veteran has IU, his social security payments are almost nonexistent due to the very fact of the unemployability"

Social Security is based  on your lifetime earnings,  if you retired young you social security payments would likely be low, if you retire at an older age , security payment could be  High... The average Social security payment is $1422. in 2019.... my monthly check is considerably higher and I was forced into a second retirement at age 45. 

I don't think  that the proposal would effect more Vietnam Veterans, since most if not all would likely be grandfathered in.

I believe that they could change the rules at anytime for any reason but considering the backlash that politicians would receive , if enacted, it is my opinion it would only affect new awards and then only if the veteran was actually retired long before the request for TDIU...

Example: say a veteran takes a normal retirement at age 67 ( any age really) and then a few  years later request TDIU... it could be denied, because if the veteran is already retired before  he request TDIU,  he is not losing any income,  because compensation is paid to offset lost income, not supplement retirement  it could easily be justified to deny TDIU in cases like this, and then the age question does not even come into play. 

Just like there are special rules for  VA service connected pensions, they can make  special rules for TDIU  eventually some politicians will have take the step to limit TDIU in some way,  its just a matter of time.  

Wow... I just read the entire article they are actually proposing many different ways to eliminate compensation. 

The TDIU elimination would  not affect me personally,  but I still have concern over this option

They listed 7 diseases that CBO  considered not to be caused in any way by military service, good arguments could be made that some of the conditions are caused by service.

I would be directly effected if they eliminated COPD from compensation in that I would lose my 100% rating.  Ironically,  I would still have a 100% rating based on all my other medical conditions. 

I would also lose my 10% rating for Hemorrhoids which I would argue, would never have happened if I had not been eating c rats in fox holes with water up to my ass 

I do not see the CBO  revoking compensation based on disease alone, it would not be  an easy thing to do.. more elected members would be inclined to limit medical care to certain veterans, or reduce

compensation for those with a 30% or less rating or some other less drastic measure than to take away a 100% rating especially for someone like myself who has been rated 100%  for 12 years, and prior to that TDIU for 8 years for TDIU.... 

Every veteran Could be impacted by at least one of the 6 options outlined...... scary stuff  hope it doesn't happen to anyone.....

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use