VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I'm 100%PT my wife is being medically retired from Army

jsimon757

Question

So back story. I am 100%P&T, but my wife is being medically retired from Army, and we have 2children under 18 and one 18yr old living at home going to school. I am curious how the coverage works. During her out-processing they said she has to make a choice in which Tricare she is going to go with. Do we not have a choice between Champva vs Tricare?

Thank you for the help. I did read the FAQ but wasn't sure if rules have changed with any of the latest changes passed by congress.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 hours ago, Richard1954 said:

If your wife is medically retired Tricare is automatic and you will not be allowed to used Champva its not and either or selection. Since she is retiring you may want to stay close to a Military base because you will be allowed to use the Medical system on base, which may be much better than care of post/Base depending where you live. Since you are 100%  I suspect you were awarded chapter 35 benefits for your children and spouse can go to college. You children can remain on tricare until age 26 if they are in college. You spouse will have 10 years to use the chapter 35 benefits usually from the time you are notified of the benefit. Also with retirement she will get the retired Id card, and you and the children 10 years and older will also get the ID card which enables you to use Base/Post commissary, PX , theater, etc.... 

Thank you! Yeah, we will live an hour away from a base...one I was stationed at when I met her. 🙂🙂

Paul, your kids should get Ch. 35 benefits, which means education stipend, "provided that" they meet the applicable requirements, such as they have to use that within 10 years of your rating.  And, they wont allow them to sign up for classes, not show up, and then keep paying them.  They have to have "progress toward their degree".  

No, tho, your adult kids dont get health insurance.  When your kids go to college, under ch 35, you no longer get the "college age" dependent benefit.  Its either Ch. 35 OR college age, but not both.  

4 hours ago, broncovet said:

Paul, your kids should get Ch. 35 benefits, which means education stipend, "provided that" they meet the applicable requirements, such as they have to use that within 10 years of your rating.  And, they wont allow them to sign up for classes, not show up, and then keep paying them.  They have to have "progress toward their degree".  

No, tho, your adult kids dont get health insurance.  When your kids go to college, under ch 35, you no longer get the "college age" dependent benefit.  Its either Ch. 35 OR college age, but not both.  

Your kids don't have to use chapter 35 within 10 years of you receiving your rating, only your spouse........my 6 year old will get to use her chapter 35 when she is old enough to go to college.  It is YOUR SPOUSE that has to use it within a certain time frame, children are only held to an age requirement, they cut them off at I think it is 24 or 26.....pretty sure it is 26.  I have a child who became very ill in college (extremely ill and had to withdraw 3 semesters in a row due to hospitalizations in what was supposed to be her senior year)  she only had to show medical proof that she was ill to extent her eligibility.    Chapter 35 does not pay for your child's school for free, it gives them a stipend which has been cut back from 48 months to 36 which happened last year.  This did increase the amount they receive each month to $1200 per month.  Champva does stop at age 18 unless they are a full time student and stops at age 23 no matter what, even if they are in college.  THAT is exactly what happened to my daughter, she became sick the month after her 23rd birthday IN college without insurance.   Gotta love being a disabled veteran!!!

14 hours ago, paulcolrain said:

after receiving 100 % p and t i feel so stupid.... yes i love the money but wow..... i was under the assumption that my dependent children would get college for free. i was under the assumption that my dependents would get health care for free.... wow was i WRONG..... IF I DIED THEN YES... IF I CANT WORK TO DEVELOP A BETTER LIFE BECAUSE I WAS HURT WELL IM UP SHITS CREEK AND SO ARE MY KIDS.... WHAT WAS I READING THAT MADE ME THINK THIS? ITS ALL A FARSE. YES THE MONEY HELPS BUT I STILL CANT AFFORD CAR INSURANCE FOR MY DEPENDENTS, COLLEGE FOR THEM OR HEALTH CARE. 

If you are 100%PT you can still work........technically, I am also 100%PT I was IU before that, no way I can work.  I also have SMCs I have far too many phsycial and mh issues to work, you should also file for SSDI. 

On 1/12/2019 at 12:40 PM, jsimon757 said:

My question is more along the lines on if we are required to use the Tricare because of her retired status or if we have an option. If we have an option which one is commonly thought of as "better".

You do  not have an option. Tricare is for active duty and retirees and their dependents. Champva is for veterans families that are not eligible for tricare. 

7 hours ago, jsimon757 said:

Thank you! Yeah, we will live an hour away from a base...one I was stationed at when I met her. 🙂🙂

Living a hour away from base may disqualify you from using Medical Services on base unless you sign a waiver. Typically the military wants you to live within 30 miles of the base to use  tricare on base, or they may offer you a waiver depending on the local commands directives.