VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I'm 100%PT my wife is being medically retired from Army

jsimon757

Question

So back story. I am 100%P&T, but my wife is being medically retired from Army, and we have 2children under 18 and one 18yr old living at home going to school. I am curious how the coverage works. During her out-processing they said she has to make a choice in which Tricare she is going to go with. Do we not have a choice between Champva vs Tricare?

Thank you for the help. I did read the FAQ but wasn't sure if rules have changed with any of the latest changes passed by congress.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

On 1/17/2019 at 8:49 PM, paulcolrain said:

after receiving 100 % p and t i feel so stupid.... yes i love the money but wow..... i was under the assumption that my dependent children would get college for free. i was under the assumption that my dependents would get health care for free.... wow was i WRONG..... IF I DIED THEN YES... IF I CANT WORK TO DEVELOP A BETTER LIFE BECAUSE I WAS HURT WELL IM UP SHITS CREEK AND SO ARE MY KIDS.... WHAT WAS I READING THAT MADE ME THINK THIS? ITS ALL A FARSE. YES THE MONEY HELPS BUT I STILL CANT AFFORD CAR INSURANCE FOR MY DEPENDENTS, COLLEGE FOR THEM OR HEALTH CARE. 

I am sorry, was this a response to my question?

• HadIt.com Elder

Does Tricare pay for dental and vision care?  My wife has ChampVA.  They are slow payers that is for sure in our case.  As far as I know Tricare is just medical but Chapter 35 VA benefits include college payments for kids and for depends in general.

Also, I have had at least one child on tricare for the last 28 years and never once have they set foot on base to be seen.  Their father and I were both AD,  we always had them on Tricare standard (now select) and after I was out and we divorced he was court ordered to keep them on standard because they had always been on it so they could see any provider and never need a referral.  I love Tricare standard/select and it has been fantastic has a great catastrophic cap. our other 2 children have champva and our older children transition to champva at age 21 ........trust me, it is a cluster F%^ck to do.  But it isn't a choice for us.  They cannot be on both and if they are tricare eligible they cannot have champva, older children (from my first marriage) lose their tricare eligibility at age 21 and have been picked up by champva which they then lose at age 23. 

On 1/21/2019 at 12:38 PM, seminoles said:

Also, I have had at least one child on tricare for the last 28 years and never once have they set foot on base to be seen.  Their father and I were both AD,  we always had them on Tricare standard (now select) and after I was out and we divorced he was court ordered to keep them on standard because they had always been on it so they could see any provider and never need a referral.  I love Tricare standard/select and it has been fantastic has a great catastrophic cap. our other 2 children have champva and our older children transition to champva at age 21 ........trust me, it is a cluster F%^ck to do.  But it isn't a choice for us.  They cannot be on both and if they are tricare eligible they cannot have champva, older children (from my first marriage) lose their tricare eligibility at age 21 and have been picked up by champva which they then lose at age 23. 

THANK you. Answered my question very well. Glad to hear I can transition them to CHAMPVA when they are ineligable for Tricare at that age. you rock!

1 hour ago, jsimon757 said:

THANK you. Answered my question very well. Glad to hear I can transition them to CHAMPVA when they are ineligable for Tricare at that age. you rock!

The only reason my children are ineligible for Tricare at that age is because they do not meet ALL the criteria, their father (the sponsor) provides ZERO support and part of the criteria of receiving tricare after 21 is that the sponsor is providing at over 50% of their support.  I have no idea how that would pan out with two married parents, one tricare eligible and one champva eligible.  I will say it is a huge pain for my kids.  I have to have someone at a Rapids ID site send something to his command prompting him to remove that child from his DEERS after their 21st birthday (because lord forbid he do so on his own, hasn't done a single thing even when court ordered without another fight typically since 2003......grrr and he is a CW04!!)  Yeah, nice guy.

On 1/21/2019 at 11:19 AM, john999 said:

Does Tricare pay for dental and vision care?  My wife has ChampVA.  They are slow payers that is for sure in our case.  As far as I know Tricare is just medical but Chapter 35 VA benefits include college payments for kids and for depends in general.

Dental no, but yes for vision care.... in fact my wife gets her eyes checked yearly on Fort Hood, and then goes off to Walmart for her glasses.....Dental care is offered to retirees as an option.. I think thru the same insurance program for Federal employees.