• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Advertise Here contact us

I'm 100%PT my wife is being medically retired from Army

Question

So back story. I am 100%P&T, but my wife is being medically retired from Army, and we have 2children under 18 and one 18yr old living at home going to school. I am curious how the coverage works. During her out-processing they said she has to make a choice in which Tricare she is going to go with. Do we not have a choice between Champva vs Tricare?

Thank you for the help. I did read the FAQ but wasn't sure if rules have changed with any of the latest changes passed by congress.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

On 1/21/2019 at 12:38 PM, seminoles said:

Also, I have had at least one child on tricare for the last 28 years and never once have they set foot on base to be seen.  Their father and I were both AD,  we always had them on Tricare standard (now select) and after I was out and we divorced he was court ordered to keep them on standard because they had always been on it so they could see any provider and never need a referral.  I love Tricare standard/select and it has been fantastic has a great catastrophic cap. our other 2 children have champva and our older children transition to champva at age 21 ........trust me, it is a cluster F%^ck to do.  But it isn't a choice for us.  They cannot be on both and if they are tricare eligible they cannot have champva, older children (from my first marriage) lose their tricare eligibility at age 21 and have been picked up by champva which they then lose at age 23. 

THANK you. Answered my question very well. Glad to hear I can transition them to CHAMPVA when they are ineligable for Tricare at that age. you rock!

1 hour ago, jsimon757 said:

THANK you. Answered my question very well. Glad to hear I can transition them to CHAMPVA when they are ineligable for Tricare at that age. you rock!

The only reason my children are ineligible for Tricare at that age is because they do not meet ALL the criteria, their father (the sponsor) provides ZERO support and part of the criteria of receiving tricare after 21 is that the sponsor is providing at over 50% of their support.  I have no idea how that would pan out with two married parents, one tricare eligible and one champva eligible.  I will say it is a huge pain for my kids.  I have to have someone at a Rapids ID site send something to his command prompting him to remove that child from his DEERS after their 21st birthday (because lord forbid he do so on his own, hasn't done a single thing even when court ordered without another fight typically since 2003......grrr and he is a CW04!!)  Yeah, nice guy.

On 1/21/2019 at 11:19 AM, john999 said:

Does Tricare pay for dental and vision care?  My wife has ChampVA.  They are slow payers that is for sure in our case.  As far as I know Tricare is just medical but Chapter 35 VA benefits include college payments for kids and for depends in general.

Dental no, but yes for vision care.... in fact my wife gets her eyes checked yearly on Fort Hood, and then goes off to Walmart for her glasses.....Dental care is offered to retirees as an option.. I think thru the same insurance program for Federal employees.

On 1/12/2019 at 10:08 AM, broncovet said:

Now I wish I would have let him stumble earlier, and let him learn on his own I wouldnt be there to pick up the pieces forever.  I cant believe I am still making parenting mistakes after more than 40 years of being a parent. 

@broncovet

we all make mistakes, just don't repeat them.

My Daughter turns 42 May 30th. I am so glad I did not follow your path. I let her fall and stumble along the way. Never anything serious when she was younger, but she learned that actions had consequences and choices had costs. When she han tantrums and said mean things it hurt my heart, but I held my ground. She learned the word NO very early. She also learned tantrums did not change a darn thing.

One example is that when she went to college, NYU Double Masters in Economics and International Business. I refused to pay her way. She needed to apply for loans and grants and work waiting tables etc to have pocket money, she lived in the dorms. Then for her graduation present I had put away the full cost of her loans and paid them off the day after she graduated. I found it was the best way to make her earn her way and still be "dad" and take care of her.

I did give her an emergency credit card and insisted if she used it she had to pay it off each month or lose it. I also paid for holiday flights home, but she went to school year round, no break, so there were not as many as I would have liked. I visited her and did little stuff, but the main weight was on her shoulders.

My own mother told us from jump street that when we turned 18 we had to either be in college or be able to support ourselves. She was going to sell the house the minute we graduated college or turned 18. I went into the military, my sister got a job and moved in with her soon to be husband. My mother sold the house and herself got a one bedroom trailer with no couch. She was serious about not having adult kids living at home.

I see my friends struggle with similar issues to yours and I feel glad I went with my path instead. She stands on her own two feet and takes no crap from anyone. She has earned everything she has and knows the value and pride in hard honest work.

I have empathy for your situation, but I am really glad I did not go that path.

after receiving 100 % p and t i feel so stupid.... yes i love the money but wow..... i was under the assumption that my dependent children would get college for free. i was under the assumption that my dependents would get health care for free.... wow was i WRONG..... IF I DIED THEN YES... IF I CANT WORK TO DEVELOP A BETTER LIFE BECAUSE I WAS HURT WELL IM UP SHITS CREEK AND SO ARE MY KIDS.... WHAT WAS I READING THAT MADE ME THINK THIS? ITS ALL A FARSE. YES THE MONEY HELPS BUT I STILL CANT AFFORD CAR INSURANCE FOR MY DEPENDENTS, COLLEGE FOR THEM OR HEALTH CARE.