HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021 ×

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

11%
    $175.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021

Question

Hi all!  Just found this site and from the looks of it there are more answers here than with the VA or with my VSO, so here goes.

Several months ago I filed for asbestos exposure issues arising from Naval Service (old snipe on an older no longer existing aircraft carrier).  Everything I've read and printed out for future use, notes that evidence of asbestos exposure typically doesn't rear it's ugly head for 30- 50 years.  Which it has in my case.  Lung fibrosis, calcified and non-calcified pleural plaques and a small lung (possibly benign) lung nodule all revealed initially poorly via an x-ray and later better identified by a CT scan.  All on my dime.  I thought I'd just have to grin and bear it until a Vet informed me about it being related to my naval background so I filed with the VA using a VSO.  (I should point out that as of yet I do not have lung cancer, mesothelioma or asbestosis.)

Two things.   I get my response from the VA and they tell me that because I didn't file within one year of discharge (1968) I couldn't file for prostate cancer, which I have been operated on for this year, and still have some residuals that I'll probably have for the rest of my life.   Then, they inform me they want a C&P exam, by a contractor,  performed regarding my "pleural plaques."

(Pleural plaques are evidence of asbestos exposure causing the  moderate lung fibrosis and the lung nodule.  The only concentrated asbestos exposure I had was during my Naval enlistment.)

So, I went in to the C&P with print-outs noting asbestos exposure has a long latency period, how it can cause pleural and calcified and non-calcified pleural plaques, as well as a copy of my CT scan.  The doctor could have cared less.  He actually pushed away the paperwork I had brought with me.  He never took vitals.  Nothing.  I was there to get a chest x-ray (not worth a crap compared to a CT scan) and to take a pulmonary function test.  He opted not to do the x-ray when he glanced at my CT scan report, that he had previously pushed away, spoke out loud more to himself than me, stating, "I can use this."  And, pretty much dismissed me, stating as he walked out the door that his report would be done in two or three days.  

Oh, and the chest x-ray was never done.

The "nurse" then did my PFT exam.  I either flunked it or failed it so miserably, she gave up after administering the test five (not three) times in about as many minutes.  Simply put, I ran out of air, I guess, faster than she thought I should.  Every time I took the test I happened to cough into the tube as I ran out of air.  Twice.  She said the machine read that I was coughing not exhaling.  I told her that I was out of air by that time and of course I was coughing.  So then, she let me hold the machine, I took a deep breathe, exhaled and as I started to cough pushed the machine away from me so I didn't cough (heaven forbid) into the tube.  I did that three times and by then I was about to pass out.  She ultimately left the room and came back in a few minutes later letting me know I could go.

As to the prostate cancer, I have found several internet articles from medical sites that link asbestos exposure and prostate cancer and have proffered  them with my Request for Reconsideration.

Assuming this request takes months for yet another denial, does the time it take for their reconsideration adversely impact the year I have to file either a NOD or an appeal?  

Any like cases or suggestions out there?

Edited by Mulligan64
typos
  • Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

You posted:

they tell me that because I didn't file within one year of discharge (1968) I couldn't file for prostate cancer, which I have been operated on for this year, and still have some residuals that I'll probably have for the rest of my life.   

This is not true, and another example for you "not to believe" everything VA tells you (even if its in writing!).  A veteran may file a claim at any time.  The "one year" window is for effective dates and can make it easier for you, but there is no requirement the Veteran must file within a year of discharge.  

To get service connected you need these 3 things, and you should focus on them:

1.  Current diagnosis.

2.  In service event or aggravation.

3.  Nexus, or docs opinion that your current diagnosis is related to an event in service.  

It is possible, however, that yours is "on the presumptive list", which could make things easier, noting that prostate cancer is on the presumptive list, but, I dont know if you qualify as far as time in service or not.  

https://www.military.com/benefits/veterans-health-care/disability-compensation-for-presumptive-conditions.html

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By gumba88
      I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, but I have email chains with a veterans claim representative where they refused to SUBMIT my claim because they said it would not be something I could claim.  I ended up submitting my claim myself, then submitting to higher level review and it looks like my claim is getting approved.  If I had not been tenacious and listened to the VA rep that wouldn't even submit my claim, I'd be out thousands in backpay and a rating.  Has anyone experienced having the VA refuse to file the claim?  I started thinking about how many vets this could have happened to...shut down before they even submit!
    • By Confusedvet1
      Hello,
      I got a denial for headaches and I'm not sure what it is saying. When I read it I think it's contradicting itself. Could someone please help me understand what it says? Also there are a lot of other times I reported headaches after service which are all in my VA medical records that they did not mention in denial so I'm thinking they didn't actually read my file?

This is from the letter.

Service connection for headache condition.
      Service connection may be granted for a disability which began in military service or was caused
      by some event or experience in service. (38 CFR 3.303)
      While your service treatment records reflect complaints, treatment, or a diagnosis similar to that
      claimed, the medical evidence supports the conclusion that a persistent disability was not present
      in service. (38 CFR 3.303)
      We did not find a link between your medical condition and military service. (38 CFR 3.303)
      The evidence does not show that your disease developed to a compensable degree within the
      specified time period after release from service to qualify for the presumption of service
      connection. (38 CFR 3.307, 38 CFR 3.309)
      Service connection for headache condition is denied since this condition neither occurred in nor
      was caused by service. (38 CFR 3.303, 38 CFR 3.304)
      Favorable findings identified in this decision: Service treatment record dated January 26, 2005
      and July 25, 2007 shows headaches. Medical record dated January 13, 2020 from Canandaigua
      VA Medical Center shows headaches. You have sufficient service to meet the minimum
      requirements for presumptive service connection. The claimed disability is a chronic disease
      which may be presumptively linked to your military service.
    • By Arthur Salisbury
      How do I submit a Comp. Claim when the VA doesn't recognize Ft. McClellan, AL as an Agent Orange site or Toxic Chemical Super Site
    • By ROMAD
      I submitted a claim for Sinusitis, OSA,, and Tinnitus. My claim was denied for all 3. 
      The tinnitus they claim was neither occurred in nor was caused by service. My job on active duty exposed me to gun fire, explosions, tanks, and tracked vehicles. I submitted the Duty Noise Exposure Spreadsheet that displayed my AFSC was rated as highly likely to be exposed to loud noise. In the first Exam they claimed I said my hearing loss was from jets flying overhead. Never said that, so they scheduled a second exam. This one they acknowledged the correct job but I was still denied. The evidence listed on the second decision dd not include the MOS Noise exposure chart I included on the first claim. I never went to sick call for ringing ears because that is just silly (had I known then) and was not something you did. I have had quiet office jobs since separating from The Air Force. What am I missing?
      For the OSA claim, I submitted Lay statements from my current wife and my ex-wife as well as explained to the doctor my symptoms and  that when I was on Active Duty i had no idea sleep apnea was a thing. I assumed I just snored and was tired because I was working hard. I had a sleep study this past year and was deemed to have severe OSA.  In my claim I listed that I believed my osa was related to my cluster headache disability. They responded Cluster headaches do not cause OSA even if there are many people with cluster headaches and also OSA.  I experienced a stuffy nose during my headaches  on the left side. This was completely different from the closing of my airway when I would sleep. It was just worst if both occurred at the same time. They claimed I have other risk factors such as being male, obesity, and advancing age. Something I did not include in my claim was the fact that I was on the Fat Boy program at one point on Active Duty and my SMR made a reference to obesity. Would this help support my claim. Also in the second decision they said I was a 73 year old male and I am no where near 73 so they probably mixed my records with someone else. What can I do about this?
      And Sinusitis, I have a couple diagnosis in my SMR's specifically listing sinusitis. I have had sinus issues since I was on Active Duty. I use a Netti Pot and have been diagnosed post active duty with sinusitis. The DBQ from the QTC Medical  Doc claims I have rebound sinusitis because I mentioned using Afrin. I have always been aware of the danger of over use and in my VA records I discussed this concern whenever the VA would prescribe a nasal spray. What am I missing and how can I get this  corrected. The errors on the 2 decisions make it seem as if they are not very organized and I have to suffer from their disorganization. Are they supposed to review all of the evidence from the initial claim when you submit a supplemental, or should I have resubmitted all  the documents from the initial claim. Are the documents that contain research that supports your claim supposed to be on the evidence list as well? They were not on there and if they did not give those documents equal consideration what is my recourse. Any assistance would be appreciated Thanks for listening.

• By DonaldANG
      Hello everyone and thank you for accepting me in to the forum.
      Last year I filed a new claim for Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depression. For the past 3 years, I have been seeing a civilian psychiatrist for my anxiety and depression. She had already diagnosed me with GAD and Major Depression, and I have been on anti-anxiety medications, antidepressants, and sleep medication. I was on differing types of the same medications since coming out of the service, but it wasn't until about 3 years ago, that I admitted to myself that I needed mental help, and that is when I started seeing my civilian psychiatrist, and that is when I first heard of GAD and Major Depression, when she said she had diagnosed me with them. It was at her suggestion, that I file a claim with the VA for GAD and Major Depression. She said she very much felt like my conditions were associated with my time in the service. When it was finally time to have my C&P exam, I was interviewed by a VA psychologist. I told her about my civilian psychiatrist, and her diagnosis for me, and the medications she had me on. I also talked to her about my time in the service, me being overseas in the Gulf War, and me being in a humanitarian mission in Ecuador. I told her about my friend who was with me during basic training. And how he was shot and killed right in front of me, in a horrible accident, during one of our live ammunition training exercises. I told her how all this had affected me from those moments on, all the way until now. At the end of our meeting, she told me that she felt like my condition was more PTSD, rather than Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depression. At the time I didn't think anything of what she said; that is until I was sent my denial letter. In my denial, it stated that my 2 claims for GAD and Major Depression, was changed to GAD (to include PTSD) and Major Depression (to include PTSD). So the VA psychiatrist did what she said she would. She essentially changed what I had claimed, and added (to include PTSD) on each of my 2 claims. So, for the basis of PTSD, there has to be a proven stressor. The VA used what I had talked to the psychiatrist about the death of my friend during boot camp, as my stressor. The VA said they searched records during the time I was at boot camp, and found no incidents related to what I was saying. So, because the VA psychiatrist took it upon herself, to change my claimed conditions from GAD and Major Depression, to GAD (to include PTSD) and Major Depression (to include PTSD), now it was up to me to prove a stressor, because with claims associated with PTSD, you must prove your stressor. I knew from talking to other Army buddies of mine, how difficult it could be sometimes to find old records of deaths. The death of my friend during boot camp happened in 1962 at Ft. Jackson, SC. My civilian psychiatrist never suggested to me that I had PTSD. She always said it was Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depression. If I had wanted to file a claim for PTSD, I would have done so. But I knew how difficult it would be for the VA to search for and find any record of the death of my friend at boot camp. So I filed GAD and Major Depression, because I was told those claims did not require a specific stressor (exact time, place, person, etc). I was told that GAD and Major Depression, could be claims based on your entire military career, with everything you've done and everything you've experienced, all amounting to intense anxiety and depression. So that is why I claimed GAD and Major Depression, over that of PTSD. But because the VA psychiatrist took it upon herself to change my 2 claimed conditions, and added the words (to include PTSD) to each of my claimed conditions, it was not just GAD and Major Depression any longer; it includes PTSD, which requires a specific and provable stressor. I had a stressor, and very specific one - the death of my friend during live ammunition exercises during our time at Ft. Jackson, SC boot camp in the summer of 1962. But the VA said neither they nor the JSRRC could find any record of that taking place. If my 2 claims had remained what they were suppose to be, simply GAD and simply Major Depression, I do not think I would have been denied. But because the VA psychiatrist added PTSD to each of my conditions, the VA asked for my stressor, the VA and JSRRC said they could find no record of my stressor, so my claims were denied. I believe I would have been approved if not for the VA psychiatrist adding PTSD to my 2 claimed conditions.
      So with all that said (and I apologize for the length of it), is there any hope for me, if I appeal my denial? And do any of you know how I would go about appealing it? Would I simply say to the VA that I disagree with the VA psychiatrist adding PTSD to my 2 claims, when I never claimed PTSD myself?; that that was her decision entirely. I have had a VA Disability Representative for the past couple of years, but he was utterly useless. He never answered my calls or emails. He basically never helped me at all. I did most all myself over eBenefits. But now, since I've had this recent denial, I have considered hiring a VA Disability Law Firm to take my case. I've spoken with 2 so far. They both told me I had a very strong case and that I could win. But they also said they couldn't take my case because of their huge client load. I think it was simply that they could probably win my case, but there wouldn't have been much in the line of backpay, so they wouldn't have gotten much compensation for their work for me. So I guess I will continue searching for other VA Disability Lawyers, or I may have to appeal my denied claim myself over eBenefits.
      Could any of you, please help me with this? I have read many questions on here regarding GAD and Major Depression, but I haven't come across one yet, where they filed a claim for GAD and Major Depression, and then the VA psychiatrist during the C&P exam, decided to change the claim (to include PTSD), thereby changing the criteria for acceptance, by now making me prove a specific stressor, instead of it she had just left my 2 claimed conditions alone, without including PTSD to them, then no specific stressor was required - it would simply go by your overall experiences while in service. I am a 20 year Veteran by the way, with most of my time served in the National Guard. But I was activated numerous times during my 20 years, including during the Gulf War. It isn't my fault that the death of my friend during boot camp, isn't something the VA or JSRRC can locate in records. If the VA psychiatrist had just left my 2 claimed conditions alone, instead of tacking on (to include PTSD), then the VA wouldn't have even had to search for a specific incident, they would have just based my conditions on my overall military experiences.
      Thank you for any help, assistance, or advice you might be able to give.
      Donald
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
    • This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
        • Thanks
      • 12 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 8 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines