VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

This may help others...

Rate this topic

I’ve been doing my own research on pain and using other meds besides the opioids. I was watching some documentary and came across this. 

The brain actually gets rewired because of chronic pain. The chemicals in the brain gets all out of whack and we who are in chronic pain gets addicted to pain. This addiction is not an addiction on narcotics or alcohol but it’s a brain addiction without the cravings. Read this below to understand more in detail:

https://www.iflscience.com/brain/parkinsons-drug-could-treat-patients-chronic-pain/

The medication Carbidopa/Levodopa causes our bodies to release dopamine in the brain which in turn helps with pain. This medication was first used for Parkinson’s and after attempting to get the BA to prescribe it and getting the normal denial I was able to get my local Pain Management MD to prescribe it to me. 

Its been 5 days since I began taking it and it has cut my pain in half, down 50%. This has allowed me to not even get any extended release pain meds filled. I use to take Oxycodone and Morphine ER but had enough of them a few months ago so I requested a switch to Hydrocodone and once a day HYSINGLA ER. So now I only take Hydrocodone and if the Carbidopa/Levodopa keeps working I will come off the Hydrocodone. 

As as of right now I have no withdraws from the ER meds whatsoever. I don’t know if this is due to more dopamine being released in my brain or what but I’m still stun this med is working. No thanks to the VA this could be the medication we need and if it works on me I’m sure it will help others. 

Best of Luck

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope its just a Parkinsons Medication and I can tell you in one week it has CHANGED MY LIFE. I started taking it last Wednesday, January 9, 2019, and yes since I decided NOT to fill my monthly Extended Release Pain Killers and only the instant release I have noticed a HUGE, HUGE change. My T-Levels have risen once again and my sex drive has gone way, way up which the love of my life has enjoyed it. I've been dealing with this muscle spasm next to my shoulder blade for about 4 months, its still there, and trust me it has nagged me so bad, Its very painful. My local PCP says its coming from my neck and he is sending me to see a surgeon. Please understand this is my medical issues:

1. I have Moderate to Severe Cervical Spondylosis. For people who do not understand Spondylosis its a combination of Cervical DDD and DJD. My discs are deteriorating progressively and as of right now, currently, I don't have any cartilage left on the back side joints. So my neck has bone on bone rubbing. In Jan 2010 I awoke with tingling in my arms and hands and muscle spasms in my pectoral muscles. One year later I had an ESI which helped the tingling go away. In 2011 I had Physical Therapy, outsourced by the VA and after a 4 week session of that therapy I ended up with Crepitus in my neck, basically bone on bone because cartilage disappeared.

A Feb 2011 MRI showed THREE herniations, one at C2-3, C5-6 and C6-7. I presented this MRI to the VA and since that time I have been denied decompression surgery THREE times by the same ole' surgeon by the name of Dr. Graham who is a contractor for both James A. Haley and Bay Pines. He is the one who decides who needs surgery.

2. I have spondylosis throughout both Thoracic and Lumbar Spine. In June 2016 my L5-S1 herniated, again denied surgery from the VA. Now I live with Chronic Bilateral Radiculopathy and Bilateral PolyNeuropathy.

Besides my spine issues I have lived with Thyroids issues caused by the pain killers I've been taking since 2014 because I now have GRAVES Disease. Yes Pain Killers will kill your thyroid and I should have filed a claim on this but I have decided I am done with filing claims because I'm TDIU and P&T. I do have 2 contentions about to be heard at the VA Board, one is Bladder Incontinence and the other one Bowel Incontinence. The Bladder isn't has bad now like it use to be but the bowel issues are bad. if I didn't take pain killers I would have to wear a diaper which i REFUSE to. I'm only 50 and don't want to go there just yet.

Anyway, its been 7 days and I can tell you I REALLY FEEL the difference. Whenever I get struck with pain I keep going compared to before where the pain would have me stuck in bed. I am up now playing my audio keyboard/Piano more. I'm an avid pianist self taught for 20+ years now. Its what helps my pain levels and keep my brain exercised.

I pray more veterans will try this medication, give it a shot because I can tell you the pain killers only work for so long. I've been taking them since Sept 2013 and can tell you I don't want to take them anymore, they are NO GOOD for your body or liver. I was on Morphine ER and Oxycodone for a few years, weaned myself off both and told my local pain management doctor we have to try something else because ANY medication like that only last for so long. So he said we would try Hydrocodone and Hysingla. They only work for a couple of months and now my body is use to them. Next month I am going to request and increase in the Carbidopa/Levodopa because right now I only get 10/100mgs of that stuff. Remember DOPAMINE is also activated with Tramadol but with Tramadol you can actually overdose or get Serotonin Syndrome which will kill you. You cannot overdose on Carbidopa/Levodopa but you can have withdraws if you suddenly stop taking it but thats with any medication. I use to take Topimax and let me tell you I ended up in the ER because I suddenly stopped taking it. The withdraws of that was worse than opiods because I could not move my arms nor legs. It was like I was paralyzed. Crazy stuff.

Talk to your MDs and show them printing research on this medication, IT WORKS trust me.

On 1/12/2019 at 4:40 PM, broncovet said:

Good post.  Im gonna look into it.  It sounds like its not a controlled substance, which is good.  I dont know if VA will prescibe this for pain or not.  

They may but its real cheap medication. If the VA doesn't go to your local MD and ask him just show him the studies done on it. This may be the medication we really need....

• 1 month later...

Yes sir it has helped very much so far. I had to start slow because I was at first getting night sweats taking that medication but after talking to my pharmacists he said it has to get into my system so cut it in half. So I did that for about 2 weeks and decided to take 3 full ones in one day...NO NO!! Man I was hearing and seeing things not there. So I had to cut it back in half. I had to do a little more research and well since I take pain killers which also releases Dopamine I was getting too much of it which caused me hearing and seeing things not there. So now I will take one full one in the morning then one half one in the afternoon/evening.

It has brought my pain levels down from a good 8 to a 6 but I still have a lot of bad days because of an issue between my shoulder blades which I believe I am going to really need surgery there or in my neck very soon. Anybody here who has Spondylosis knows what I'm talking about, you can feel the changes happening.

Now, on a good note, I do have more energy and one of the side effects from this medication is it will bring your Testosterone Levels back up. I will say my wife is loving every bit of it!!!!! Whenever all this pain hit me hard in 2010 it went to once every two months, now we are back "baby"...LOL Seriously some of you should give this a try, it really works.