VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Caretaker income and non-service connected pension?

Rate this question

Abyss

Question

Hello, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I am 70% PTSD, TDIU P&T. My roommate (unrelated to me) is an older Army veteran and receives both social security and $1100 in non-service connected pension a month. We plan on applying for him to be my VA caretaker. I am wondering if the stipend money counts as income against his pension? One other question - would he be able to qualify as my caretaker and me as his under aid and attendance? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Edited by Abyss

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

I dont think it will work.  Pension is a "needs based" program.  The "1100 per month"  does not mean he gets 1100 per month plus all other income.  It means that he gets a "total" of 1100 per month including all other income, including Social Security.  If he had "zero" income when he applied (likely), and is able to earn income in subsequent years, he needs to report that income which would likely be deducted from his 1100 per month.  

Dont even think about  suggesting he "not report" his income from the caregiver program toward his 1100 per month as VA woud surely find out about it, and you dont want to go near anything that even smells like fraud.  (Deceiving VA about your income to collect pension would be fraud.) . You have to agree to report income to get pension.  

To be sure, tho, you could try applying and TELL VA what you are doing.  Im of the opinion that if you dont lie to VA, and dont deceive them, then you are entitled to money that you are awarded.  Let them figure out the rules..that is their job, and you are not required to understand all the rules..just to be honest about your situation. In theory,  You dont have to have a Phd in VA benefits to collect them.  (However, in practice, to get VA benefits you either need a lawyer or a Phd in VA benefit appeals, because VA is  almost certain to look for some glitch to delay or deny your benefits.  A "few" Veterans have managed to get benefits with a VSO, but your chances are greatly increased with a lawyer, if you read the BVA chairmans report.   If I recall, at the BVA level, about 14% of Vets are denied at the BVA level who have a lawyer, but, for example, about 26% are denied when represented by WWP.)

Its been my experience that Vets who had "glitches" in their claim (resulting in delay or denial) far outnumber Vets who had "0" glitches and got their benefits awarded promptly without incident.  

I can only think of "1" Veteran who reported no glitches in their claim, in the 10 plus years I have been on hadit.  Instead, I hear "glitch after glitch" resulting in delays or denials.  VA has to be looking for glitches or creating them.  

The VA Caregiver Program is for Family members of Caregivers:

https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/caregiver_eligibility_check.asp