VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dad filed claim for PTSD with no diagnosis..Seriously..But..

Rate this question

msh789

Question

Brother, who worked doing claim appeals for veterans, seems to think he might still qualify.. I don't get it..

Dad was in the Korean war, he is 88, and he has always had an occasional nightmare of still being in the war, and the nightmares have gotten really bad. Other PTSD symptoms, but he is his own worst enemy, and has always refused to see a doc nor even let his PCP at least prescribe him med's for it. So, he was never diagnosed by a doctor. 

But when he went to see the VA doctor after filing his claim..the exam for his claim, the doc went over a few questions and concluded by saying 'how would you like to get $1200 for your claim..?'..I don't see how the doc can say this..First of all, it isn't up to the doc to decide the decision of his claim, is it..?  But the doc said it in a serious tone..

In addition to the nightmares, dad jumps when the phone or doorbell rings, he panics when left alone,  he freaks out when he hears unfamiliar noises..And he did tell the VA doc that one time, back in the 1970s or so, he was visiting a friend and heard a BOOM..and dad hunkered down to the floor. He witnessed an army buddy literally get blown up right next to him, and one night, he was in service, he was sleeping and he woke up to a loud noise, he stood up, and no sooner than he stood up, the wall right next to his bed where he was sleeping caved in....he said if he hadn't gotten out of bed, he would have been dead...

But he has never been diagnosed with PTSD bc of his stubborn pride....and that is him being his own worst enemy, unfortunately..

I just don't see why my brother, who did claims for veterans for years, and this examining VA doc...seem to think he will apparently qualify..? I thought you have to have a PTSD diagnosis..? 

Your Dad needs to use this form-the fastest way to get a C file copy- 

https://www.va.gov/vaforms/va/pdf/VA3288.pdf

It should be copied, for his records and sent to 

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Evidence Intake Center
PO Box 4444
Janesville, WI 53547-4444

Fax:        844-531-7818

On 1/17/2019 at 2:57 PM, msh789 said:

Thanks for all the replies..How do I read his cfile..? Where is that..?

You have to write a letter to the VA specifically asking for your C-File. Youll need Name DOB SSN Branch etc. I did this recently, still waiting for it to come in the mail. I do not remember the address youll have to contact the VA hotline and have them give your RO address. I hope this helps your father!

This form 21-3288, if your father signs it , is the best way to get a C file-send it to the RO he deals with.

Using FOIA is also not needed if he signs for a copy of his VA medical records. The Records Access Officer at the VAMC he deals with should have a brief form he could fill out and sign.

I believe the 21- 3288 can be used for C files ( sent to the RO )as well as the VA med recs, sent to the VAMC that treats the veteran.

If a veteran uses FOIA to get their own C file and their own medical records,they will wait longer than what the 3288 can take.

Family members might need FOIA in cases where the veteran cannot sign their name, or if they are deceased.

They might need proof of their relationship to the veteran.

Lawyers have to use FOIA if needed to obtain vet records for their claims.

I had no problem getting my C file when I became a widow claimant.

I also had no problem getting my husband's medical records, by using a simple form I signed at the VAMC that treated him.

https://www.va.gov/vaforms/va/pdf/VA3288.pdf

Edited by Berta
frgot form link

When I first applied for my initial claim for PTSD it started from just a "unspecified anxiety disorder" and it was not until a routine visit with mental health that I even picked up the PTSD diagnosis.  Sometimes you still find doctors in the system how are blunt and point blank in that manner.  My social worker said something very similar to me about my VA Comp early on and encouraged me to file in the first place.  Which I am glad I did or otherwise I would be like your dad waiting til I was in my twilight years.