• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
msh789

I think my dad blew it for his aid and attendance exam....

Question

I've been my father's caretaker since 2009. He only recently filed for aid and attendance. I do pretty much everything for him..laundry, cooking, cleaning, helping him get dressed, grocery shopping for him, taxi cab for his appointments, helping him climb into bed at night.. 

At his aid and attendance exam, I was a little put off by the examiner. I tried to explain what I do for him, but she told me basically to shut up and she wanted him to answer....The man is 88 years old...it was obvious he was having trouble even getting into and out of the office and onto and off of the exam table (for his knee, which is service connected and he is getting disability for his knee).  But she asked him if he needs help showering, feeding himself, going to the toilet, all of which he answered he does not need any help..I could've screamed..! He needs help with everything...!!!! He is a foolishly proud man and does not like to admit he needs help..he is his own worst enemy in that regard, so to speak..

But I mean, it was obvious that he needs lots of help,  even getting up from the wheelchair  and back into the wheelchair..but still, I feel like that doesn't matter, and him answering those questions in denial like he did, is all that matters..But suddenly he had this strength and wanted to show he is able of taking care of himself, which he clearly is not and does not take care of himself..

Oh and then the examiner asked him to remove his knee brace when he was on the exam table, which I typically have to help him, but he got snotty with me and pushed me away, saying feisty tone that he wanted to do it himself....so I'm sure that did not help him, either..At home I have to help him with everything..EVERYTHING...

I am sure he is going to be denied.. Guess we can appeal..? He clearly can't take care of himself, but all the VA is going to see are the answers to his questions, that he was in big denial with..***sigh***...

Sorry to hear that. When I went in for mine, the provider initially didn't allow my caregiver in the room. After I started yelling at her she asked me to calm down and then allowed my caregiver in the room. I think that the providers are told to direct all questions to the veteran.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ParadigmGuy said:

Sorry to hear that. When I went in for mine, the provider initially didn't allow my caregiver in the room. After I started yelling at her she asked me to calm down and then allowed my caregiver in the room. I think that the providers are told to direct all questions to the veteran.

I guess it's how they do things. To me it makes sense to have the caregiver there, but after all, this is the government. A lot of times elderly veterans have trouble answering questions, which my father does. But it's how it is when you go there. Doesn't make sense, but yeah, it's how they do things. 

Not necessarily will you be denied.  I have seen it more than once.  You go to the doc, he's gruff, and you think..yea..this guy is gonna be a very negative exam...up until you read it and find out that was just the way the doc was..kinda course, but gave a great c and p report.  

My doc did just that.  I thought..gee..this guy does not like me at all.  Then I read his exam.  Nexus, and everthing I needed.  I will likely get housebound, also, because he opined I was housebound, and the Va has no refutation to that.  Wait for the exam and read it.  Then decide.  

On the flip side of that, sometimes you get an examiner who is nice as pie.  Even "gooey sweet".  Then you read the exam and they write that you are a malinger and that all your benefits, if you have any, should be forfeitted.  I actually got one of those also.  While that examiner's opinion conflicted with about 18 other doctors I have had over the past 20 years, I still thought bad things would come of it.  Nothing.  The good news is that VA lost that one.  It wasnt in the RBA.  Sometimes, VA's inefficiencies are good!!  

Edited by broncovet

When I was granted A&A  I did not have to go for any exams. I had been having problems with doing many of the things that people do daily. My biggest problem was putting on my AFO because I cannot bend over, and I could not do any cooking because I am on oxygen. I also did not wash my own clothing  but my wife always took care of that anyway. I do have problems dressing my self because I cannot move like I use to move,. Anyway .. what I did was take some advice from VAWatchdog.org , there was an article on there that recommend veterans write their own nexus letters concerning anything in my case Aid and Attendance, then take the letter to your VA primary care doctor and asked them to review and sign it if they agreed. So basically, I wrote my letter that recommended aid and attendance, it covered all the bases concerning my disabilities, and  the types of help I needed on a daily basis  for everyday living.  My Doctor reviewed the letter, then told me to take it to the Secretary, have her copy it to va letterhead, and bring it back to him and he would sign in.. Took me all of about 45 minutes to get it done.  I was already rated housebound because of 100+60 so that may of helped, and getting rated 100% for COPd also helped, in the end I was awarded Aid & Attendance + 50 , so I got @ L 1/2 rates.  Maybe the va rater considered the letter as my exam, but I was never required to take any exam it was just granted.  Also you do not have to be totally dependent on someone else,  for example,  I can feed myself,  take a shower without help ( sure I am sitting but I can do it)... and I can put my own shirts on, just can get my paints on without help because of my back, knee injuries. I also can't put my braces on by myself... the point you don't have to be totally dependent to get a&A....

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your bad experience, I tell many Vets that those A&A exams are Brutal no matter who the Doc is. Just part of the process itself. When I did my A&A exam, the Doc did not want my wife in there either at first. A&A along with other higher levels of VA pay, are under very heavy Magnifying glass by the VA. Of course the Govt does not want to grant more money to Sick Vets, even though we deserve it. Anyone that thinks a Veteran will get rich on any form of Disability Pay, is Dumbfounded, yet that is what most of the Govt believes. That is why these exams and the process is getting so Ridiculous even for a well deserving older Veteran such as your father. I am in my late 30s and I just dont have a positive outlook on the future of the VA or the way they treat us. So sorry for you and your father. I have had 5 or 6 exams seem awful, yet the VA Rater granted them anyways. So try to be positive, atleast you made it thru the Trenches thus far. God Bless!!!

• Like 1