VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just awarded 80%

Rate this topic

Wanderer

I was disabled by a sleep apnea brain injury and forced to live in homeless shelters, more or less, since September 2017 and the SOAR program got me SSDI. At the same time, about a year ago, I applied for VA disability, including a bipolar claim that I had started 23 years ago.

They awarded me 30% for asthma within 5 months, and yesterday, increased my rating to 80% (70% bipolar).

Yesterday, a live agent told me she saw 3 deposits scheduled for my bank account totaling over $10,000. I'm expecting over $300k for the backpay. I've been told I will have to sue them for that and I want to do it myself, too. But, I"m not sure what to do next.

It's so awesome, I won. After 23 years... I won!

Now to get out of the VA healthcare system. I'll be eligible in a year for Medicare. Is that a rather good program for good health results?

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

I was disabled by a sleep apnea brain injury and forced to live in homeless shelters, more or less, since September 2017 and the SOAR program got me SSDI. At the same time, about a year ago, I applied for VA disability, including a bipolar claim that I had started 23 years ago.

They awarded me 30% for asthma within 5 months, and yesterday, increased my rating to 80% (70% bipolar).

Yesterday, a live agent told me she saw 3 deposits scheduled for my bank account totaling over $10,000. I'm expecting over $300k for the backpay. I've been told I will have to sue them for that and I want to do it myself, too. But, I"m not sure what to do next.

Now to get out of the VA healthcare system. I'll be eligible in a year for Medicare. Is that a rather good program for good health results?

Congrats on your win.

I use medicare and it is a good program for a vet.  Spend your benefit wisely, sit on it and ponder the best way to spend it.  You may now be eligible for IU.  Speak to you representative about it. And congratulations.

Thank you. I will see them about IU- an exciting prospect. I just saw a geriatric (good God) neurologist and with a report from him, I may be able to get into this world famous memory clinic with Medicaid. We'll see.

What interests me is how the VA's view of bipolar symptoms are the same as my brain injury cognitive difficulties which looks like a strong case that my SC Bipolar is causing me not to be able to work.

On 1/17/2019 at 6:18 AM, Wanderer said:

You are on your way brother. Now you might consider filing for TDIU. Get evaluated from Voc Rehab and if you are truly TDIU they will deny you into VR. This will be helpful proof as you can get the VR Counselor to write you a feasibility letter. Submit that with your TDIU claim. You also should highly consider filing for SSDI. Good Luck.

Sorry to hear of your issues bud. Congrats on your win and the 10k will go a long way towards helping you get back on your feet. As far as the 300k as long as it it valid back pay you should not have to sue. I helped to Vietnam vets in the last 3 yrs, 1 got over 700k  and the other 279k as backpay, and they did not have to do anything other then wait about 6 months each while the VA was doing a Financial Audit on their selves for accuracy. Good luck and God Bless my friend!!!

Also I have VA, Tricare and Medicare and by far Medicare is the Best insurance out of the 3, and less Headache with the Civilian DRs.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use