VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100 % means What But MONEY ?? i feel stupid i told my kids about things

Rate this question

paulcolrain

Question

after receiving 100 % p and t i feel so stupid.... yes i love the money but wow..... i was under the assumption that my dependent children would get college for free. i was under the assumption that my dependents would get health care for free.... wow was i WRONG..... IF I DIED THEN YES... IF I CANT WORK TO DEVELOP A BETTER LIFE BECAUSE I WAS HURT WELL IM UP SHITS CREEK AND SO ARE MY KIDS.... WHAT WAS I READING THAT MADE ME THINK THIS? ITS ALL A FARSE. YES THE MONEY HELPS BUT I STILL CANT AFFORD CAR INSURANCE FOR MY DEPENDENTS, COLLEGE FOR THEM OR HEALTH CARE. 

When you received your 100% rating  there should be a line In the letter that indicates you have dependent Education under chapter 35 if your rating is a permanent rating. All of your children under 26 would be eligible and so would your spouse, and it does not matter if your children are married and left the home.. You should also be able to get medical care under champva.  Education is not free but they will get paid quarterly if they qualify, but the must also get passing grades. My son went to college for 4 years..... and while the va does not pay the full cost, its still a nice piece of change.   You would have to pay for Champa as well/  You will also get all dental and medical care free at the VA. 

4 hours ago, Richard1954 said:

You should also be able to get medical care under champva.  Education is not free but they will get paid quarterly if they qualify,

thats the key.... this is the key ALL should know...... yes you get champva but its a 2nd insurance only and college is not free... vets 100 only gives money

some of the big time companies that usa citizens can join from botem up pay for pension and kids college...... whats the deal? besides that,,, has anyone on here seen what an E1 gets for pay theses days????? $1900 plus bha of 1500... thats monthly just as an E1......

wow service pays better than 10 years at home depot... but yes lets all buy current service persons a beer... and give nothing but a tax relief to a vet who served and got hurt. .. wow.......

Edited by paulcolrain

9 hours ago, paulcolrain said:

for who is it a nice piece of change? the federal student loan program that your kid pays back ????????????

NO!  First what you should do is to go google chapter 35 Benefits if you want a full explanation of the benefit.

Chapter 35 dependent education pays a stipend directly to the spouse or dependent child attending school the amount of the stipend depends in the level of study the  ie: 1/4  or 1/2 or full time student it has nothing to do with any other program. 

In my son's case when he attended college he did not have to work to help pay for college like most students do.. because he had chapter 35 benefits... his benefits paid the amount that his scholarship did not cover. 

9 hours ago, paulcolrain said:

thats the key.... this is the key ALL should know...... yes you get champva but its a 2nd insurance only and college is not free... vets 100 only gives money

.To be sure Champva is not always a 2nd insurance, many who have Champva  only have Champva.

Here is a link to explain what  Champva actually covers..   https://www.va.gov/COMMUNITYCARE/programs/dependents/champva/CHAMPVA_faq.asp

As to College no one ever said college was free !  You stated you heard it was free,  where ever you received that information I do not know. Chapter 35 benefits help to offset the cost of education nothing more...and in many cases its enough of an offset that the student does not have to work while attending school