VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

disabled vets are more in need than active mil

Rate this question

paulcolrain

Question

where do i join a forum based on facts? facts as like veterans who became disabled due to service deserve more than active military who get paid more. stores the government and society is having a hard time seeing my point.  SO MANY PLACES GIVE UP TO 50% TO ACTIVE DUTY OR FREE LOANS.... THEY HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY WHY ARE THEY GETTING BUT VETS NOT?? a current mil E1 gets $3500 a month free education for spouse and children free plus free medical with tri care.... a vet 100 percent disabled gets 3500 without anything else.... NOTHING......GET HURT YOU GET MONEY BUT NOTHING ELSE.....

Edited by paulcolrain

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Well, yes.  I noticed there are a lot of benefits for "active duty", and less for 100 percent Vets.  However, sometimes the opposite is true, tho.  For example, we dont have to pay taxes (federal income tax) on our disabiiity payments, while active duty have to pay federal income tax.  This is a big deal, a very big deal.  

Also, we can collect Social Security disability, while active duty can not.  However, I agree with you.  For example, how many "active duty" troops are homeless, while many Vets are homeless.  There should not be any such thing as a homeless Vet.  Most "homeless Vets" are homeless for TWO reasons:

1.  The are waiting for VA compensation, which can take decades of appeals.  Or, it may never come.  

2.  The are on drugs or alcohol.  Or, of course, both of these.  

Addictions are a whole seperate problem.  But, some years ago a well known professor advised vA to "just pay" the  Veteran claimants who apply (and not make them wait for VA's long claim process).  She reasoned that "most of the claimants EVENTUALLY win their benefits anyway, and would not need to be homeless in the interim.  She pointed out IRS pays tax refunds in a few days or weeks, and then later on determines if the tax form was way off and they dont deserve the refund.  (The IRS does check their math..that isnt too hard and takes a computer seconds to do.) . 

Of course, if there is a problem with your tax return, the IRS comes after you..and they know where to find you!!!  Vets compensation could also be paid right away, and virtually elimante homeless Vets waiting on benefits.  

I say her plan has another benfit:  Veteran suicide.  Severe economic problems, such as not being able to feed your family, getting evicted etc. are a big contributor to Veteran suicide.  It should not be so.  There is no doubt in my mind that there are Vet suicides because of VA's inefficeincy...we just dont know how many.  

I had a home and a family when I first applied for benefits.  VA made sure I didnt have either by the time I got the money.  Its really hard to get a woman to stick around when you are broke and homeless.  And, its really hard to keep your home, if you have no income and the VA takes 4 years to start your compensation, like they did for me.  

5 hours ago, paulcolrain said:

where do i join a forum based on facts? facts as like veterans who became disabled due to service deserve more than active military who get paid more. stores the government and society is having a hard time seeing my point.  SO MANY PLACES GIVE UP TO 50% TO ACTIVE DUTY OR FREE LOANS.... THEY HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY WHY ARE THEY GETTING BUT VETS NOT?? a current mil E1 gets $3500 a month free education for spouse and children free plus free medical with tri care.... a vet 100 percent disabled gets 3500 without anything else.... NOTHING......GET HURT YOU GET MONEY BUT NOTHING ELSE.....

I miss active duty sometimes, but mostly the camaraderie. 

Sorry you are frustrated bud, I live in a small area, and most places dont even give a military discount, in fact some even laugh it off. As far as $3500 a month that is not correct. My nephew just got out of Army Boot camp and he brings home $1625 a month.  Not quite a lot for the hard job he has. As stated above we can collect multiple forms of Disability, while I was Active and Sick, only got my regular pay. My State has Free college for Spouse and Children of 100% Disabled Vets, and I dont pay property taxes on my home either, which is a big savings. So you really cant blame the Military for the Local and State benefits. I did 3 Long Deployments and believe me, no amount of money was enough for me to get so injured and sick, and come home Medically Retired at 31. Its really easy to hate the Military, VA or the Govt on our bad days, believe me I do most days. Then I just try to be grateful that I am alive, lost alot of friends, and I still have my wife and kids. You have all the right to Vent my friend.  Thats what Hadit Forum is for. I truly wish you the best. Good luck and God Bless!!