VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should you submit multiple service connection claims and an IU claim together or file them one at a time?

Rate this question

chibears3531

Question

An advantage to submitting everything in one claim is more potential back-pay due to an earlier effective date.

However, do you guys think that a large claim containing multiple service connected disabilities and IU would be more likely to fall under additional scrutiny or is more likely to be denied? Versus filing for one service connection at a time and waiting for the decision before filing for the next connection?

My VSO wants to file everything at once in one claim but I thought I'd come here and get a few other opinions considering the WEALTH of knowledge and experience within this community.

I have a "fully developed claim" for obstructive sleep apnea secondary to TBI ready to file. I'm also gathering evidence for migraines secondary to TBI and IU. Thanks for listening.

Edited by chibears3531

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

It depends on if you need money or not.  If you have all the money you will ever need, then file em one at a time..or dont bother filing them at all.  

However, if you need money, understand this:  The later claims will have a later effective date, and, thus less retro.  

File em together.  My suggestion is you look carefully at your claims.  

If the condition is asymptomatic (no symptoms), consider not filing it at all.  If service connected, it would likely be at zero percent.  It is true, however, that it may get worse later, and, in that case go ahead.  

The courts have ruled Tdiu is not a "stand alone" claim, but rather, part of a claim for increase.  You cant be "unable to work due to SC disabilities" if you are not service connected.  Focus on claims that limit your ability to work.  

I have filed claims both ways.. multiple issues and once, and three or four claims for single issues... I learned that if you do single issue claims the VA usually combines them into one claim. Does it take longer

if the claims are submitted separately and then combine maybe , maybe not.. In my case I filed 4 separate claims in one day... so time-wise it didn't matter.  But I can see filing claims months apart and then the 

final claim holds up the first claim..... 

I think you should file all claims together, with the medical evidence... it should go faster .. 

2 hours ago, Richard1954 said:

I have filed claims both ways.. multiple issues and once, and three or four claims for single issues... I learned that if you do single issue claims the VA usually combines them into one claim. Does it take longer

if the claims are submitted separately and then combine maybe , maybe not.. In my case I filed 4 separate claims in one day... so time-wise it didn't matter.  But I can see filing claims months apart and then the 

final claim holds up the first claim..... 

I think you should file all claims together, with the medical evidence... it should go faster .. 

You can always start the claim using intent to file and that sets a retro date. You have a year from that point to hit the submit button.

• HadIt.com Elder

If it was me I'd file for everything at one time using separate claim forms per each condition....if you have medical evidence to prove your claim cases  go for all of them...some may be denied but you get that EED established  for when you do win.

There is no limit to filing claims , so file for all of them when you do file   you can use the INT Intent to file...just make sure you send in ALL YOUR EVIDENCE   for each claim when you do file.