VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

NOD Form on VA.gov Website, is outdated

Rate this question

Navy Vet's Wife

Question

Good morning,

I have followed this forum for many years and with the advice provided on here, you have helped me to advocate for my husband to receive a 80% rating at this time. We have 2 appeals going- 1 BVA that is from 2012 Claim and another at local RO from 2016.

The purpose of this post is I wanted to make everyone aware that if you are filing an NOD and use the VA.gov website to obtain the form 21-0958, the form online is outdated and no longer accepted. 

https://explore.va.gov/file-disagreement

We learned the hard way, by completing the form and submitting with our very detailed appeal. We then received a letter informing us the form was outdated and no longer accepted. The Evidence Intake Center did not say why it was outdated, which form version to use nor attach the proper form. Only after I searched the VA Forms Library, did I find the newest version of form 21-0958 should have a revision date of Sept 2018. I then completed that one and resent.  I had to file complaint with White House Vets line in order to protect the original claim date, because the Evidence Intake Center had also notified us in another letter that we lost our 12 month window of time and had to reapply.

Shout out to a Supervisor in our local RO office who received the complaint and called us personally, he walked the NOD through and secured our original claim date.

So, please check the revision date of the NOD you are using - obtain the form from the VA Library, not the pages dedicated to completing the NOD. Hopefully, after the complaints, they will finally update the form that is now 4 years old on the site!

5 answers to this question

Thanks for the update!  Sad that a document still on the VA website for use by veterans is no longer accepted.  Appreciate your letting folks know about that landmine.

Have a great weekend!

Mark

Exactly!  They responded by letter 2nd time, with another outdated form- it was from Sept 2015 and then IRIS responded with attached Sept 2015 form too!  All of them are also expired.  Only good version at this time is Sept 2018 version.  I walked the Supervisor of Appeals through the website to show him where the old forms are located, so hopefully they can take down and update.  

• HadIt.com Elder

VA 21-0958 NOD Form is no good any more?

Buck52, the NOD Form 21-0958 is still the correct name and number of the form. The problem is that on the VA.gov website, they have the old version on the pages that are to assist vets with completing them. It is an expired version of the form- dated January 2015, I did not know , and completed it since came from VA website- and VA did not accept by NOD filing, rejected it and said the form was outdated and no longer accepted. 

The correct version of the form can be found at the VA Forms library and it should have a revision date of September 2018.  If you use any other version, which they have out and mail to you- it has to be the Sept 2018 version to be accepted.

Thanks!

Tracy