VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Buddy letters

Rate this question

Al329

Question

Quick question....

When submitting buddy letters, is it ok to have the same buddies write letters for different claims?

Like say I get a few buds to write up one saying I had sleep apnea type events in service.
And then get the same buddies to write one for a whole other claim like saw me twist my knee on a PT run.

I guess the question is.. would they carry less weight to use the same people over and over?

Thanks!

Al

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

When I lost my job I had three civilian letters from managers and a coworker who testified to my losing my job due to my SC disability.  The RO ignored these letters but the BVA cited them in their decision as evidence that should have been considered.

They could carry some weight for multiple issues, but be sure that they tell  VA that they were in same unit, same time a place, and that they give the VA their contact info.

However, the best place to find proof of any inservice disability would be in your SMRs and also possibly in your 201 Military Personnel file.

My daughter, a veteran, helped 5 vets in the same unit.They had buddy letters from each other and one vet had sent the VA a copy of his award , based on the same event, that they all could use.

This was a combat stressor, easily verified by JSRRC. They also got more awards because of it.

As long as these vets via their MOS,Unit, and same time of incident =-can give an eye witness account-it would make sense that they all witnessed all that you claim.

But it appears you have not contacted any buddies yet-your unit should have a web site that could help.

They could use a 21-4138 form for the Buddy statement. Make sure they sign the oath on the bottom of it.Or enter the oath into their buddy letters,before they send it to the VA.

And give VA their contact info.

If this is an OEF situation, the awards on your DD 214 might denote combat. Personally I feel buddy statements should just be icing on the cake and that the claim can stand alone without them, but with probative evidence from the SMRs and 201 file.

Edited by Berta

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Ensure it is written from an objective point of view indicating what they observed

Thanks for all the answers!

Berta, correct I have yet to contact anyone yet. My fears were due to my serving in a small unit, that I basically have the same buddies for most of my service. So was worried that having the same buddies write letters would carry less weight. If so I would only use them a the largest claim...if that makes sense.

Of course I am still working on my first claim ... still awaiting a copy of my SM.

Thanks!