VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD C&P this Thursday. A question?

Rate this question

tazntaylr

Question

I have my PTSD claim C&P scheduled for Thursday. The exam was set up by VES. The examiner is a PHd out of Las Vegas/Arizona/CA that does C&P exams.

My question: Can my wife sit in the exam? She knew me before, during, and after the Army. We were married the last few years of service, and after my incidents.

It is your right to request your wife accompany you to the exam.  My VA neurologist did not allow my wife to attend but a sympathetic doctor will allow this.  Remember when you are in the exam tell the truth but when the doctors asks about your symptoms describe your worst day, not a day when everything is going as supposed to.  They will probably being up some sensitive things but remember that the exam is a chance for you to show how PTSD affects your life.  Good Luck. 

Vetquest,

Thank you for the help. I do plan to do as you have written. Stressing out now about the exam, what will I say and so on. I at least have that day and the next requested off in case I need it.

Thank you again.

7 hours ago, tazntaylr said:

Vetquest,

Thank you for the help. I do plan to do as you have written. Stressing out now about the exam, what will I say and so on. I at least have that day and the next requested off in case I need it.

Thank you again.

You'll need to also look the part. Don't shave. Wear some old faded clothes and shoes. Don't shower for the next few days. Stay up the night before.

You can't go in looking like your going to church or a job interview. That would defeat the purpose of substantiating your claim in your favor.

Doc, I have to disagree with you on this one.  I wore my Sunday go to meeting clothes and showered and shaved for my appointment and was awarded 70%.  It was the evidence that made my rating.   I can look good but that does not mean I am not a wreck on my bad days. 

• Lead Moderator
10 hours ago, vetquest said:

Doc, I have to disagree with you on this one.  I wore my Sunday go to meeting clothes and showered and shaved for my appointment and was awarded 70%.  It was the evidence that made my rating.   I can look good but that does not mean I am not a wreck on my bad days. 

That is great that you got this, but parts of every exam the va gives the doctor states your appearance, demeanor, state of mind, and anything else they see.  The reason vquest stated this is because many of us have been denied, because of trying to be a tough guy and not say it hurts or trying to hard to impress.  Also they can make cases later on to reduce your % based on how much you improved!

As for your wife being there, I think they should allow it.  Also a lay statement from your wife goes a long way!

Can I ask why you are doing a C&P if you were already awarded?

• HadIt.com Elder

It don't really matter what you wear to this C&P Exam  you need to be honest with your answers, now they are some veterans that do dress this way but they are being honest  Not sure why maybe they just don't feel a part of society beings they have PTSD, the examiner will have your medical records on the computer and what you tell them will reflect on what you been telling the Therapist or MH People   so if your caught in a lie  that will usually end in a denial   so you need to be honest with this examiner and answer his/her questions honestly.