VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Have a C&P exam scheduled next week

Rate this question

Wanderer

Question

I'm pretty sure it's for my claim that sleep apnea was caused/exacerbated by my SC asthma (30% awarded last year), because I saw on eBenefits last week, a note about that particular claim being referred for examination or something. Then C&P called right after that and set up this appointment. 

At the time the sleep apnea was at its worst (2 years ago or so) my asthma had been also very bad for a year, to the point where I often could not speak for the frequent coughing. It was a debilitating cough. Almost cost me my job because I couldn't stop coughing in front of my customers who faced me on a gambling table. My roommate would complain that my coughing in my sleep would wake him and he was 78 and hard of hearing. At that time I lived at an elevation of 9200 feet and my sleep apnea and coughing would wake me every two hours, wide awake. That's when I figure I was getting the least amount of oxygen in my brain (oh yeah! right about then, a civilian lab suggested I get a sleep test when it saw my red blood cells were way high- a sign of exhaustion), so my blood changed in efforts to get sufficient oxygen to my organs. I think I can find that report online. So- back to the topic- the asthma obviously lowered my lungs ability to gain enough oxygen, hence it damaged my brain and made my bipolar (just got 70% for that) crush me.

I am hoping to get some pointers on how to participate in my exam. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Wanderer
add eBenefits phrase

6 answers to this question

I don't have pointers. But Good Luck. A fellow Navy veteran was approved for sleep apnea after a six year battle.

You appear to be headed in the right direction. Don't worry, be honest, and trust in the testing.

12 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Is there an article, perhaps, that could help me?

None, other than medical studies that have linked sleep apnea to Asthma or Mental Health conditions. It appears you have both. Therefore, your sleep apnea could be secondary connected to either Asthma or Bipolar Disorder(The depression part of it anyway.) 

When I went into my secondary Sleep Apnea C&P the examiner asked questions that are already in the DBQ, such as, 

Do you have daytime sleepiness?

Did you have a sleep study done?

Do you have and use your CPAP or other breathing device?

Do you have a SC condition pertaining to your secondary condition?

Those are just examples from what I recall. 

Keep your answers honest, clear and concise. If the examiner veers off topic; that doesn't pertain to your condition? politely redirect the conversation by saying,"I mean no offense, but I'm here to discuss my claimed condition only."

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Thank you, doc! Just what I was looking for. What is DBQ and how can it help me?