VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Writing a Letter for a buddy

Rate this question

Crosis

Question

Greetings!

I am a USMC Veteran, I have PTSD (working on getting mine service connected, but thats another issues). I was asked by a close friend of mine who served in the US Army to write a Buddy Letter for his pending PTSD claim. I'm gong to share what I have written so far, I would appreciate some feedback on any changes I need to make.

My name is (withheld), and I've known the Veteran (withheld) listed above since the Summer of 1998. To say I just know him would be an insult to our bond, (withheld) is my brother, not by blood but by choice. We were forged in the same fires of hell. We met the Summer before High School and from that point on we went everywhere together, weekends and summers were spent together at each others parents home (along with our 2 other brothers - also Veterans).

While we were in High School before we joined the Military (Him Army, me USMC) (withheld) was super outgoing. We would go to Tournaments for the various games we played that would range from small groups of 20 to large groups over over 200 in attendance, we would go to Movies, the Mall, the Beach, he never had issues with being in Crowded places. He always had the uncanny ability to just make every situation better and fun. He was always smiling, always enjoying himself, he never had trouble sleeping, he was an all American guy that everyone was proud to call their friend.

After we enlisted and we both deployed out of country I noticed some major changes in his personality. He doesn't do well with crowded places, always has to sit with his back to a wall watching the entrances and exits, his ability to relax and just enjoy life has been stripped away from him. He doesn't sleep like he used to - nightmares, sleep disturbances, snoring, etc. He has control over his anger, but you can see it boiling inside of him. When we go places (withheld) has a happy face on, but you can see him always calculating the situation, sizing up the people around him for potential threats, and always being on guard - especially around new unknown people. Getting him to go out and do things isn't like it used to be, before it was "Hey lets go see a movie" we would get up and immediately leave to go see said movie, now its "hey lets go see a movie", and sometimes its a month before he has the energy to leave and be around people enough to see the movie

His experiences overseas have altered his personality, his demeanor, and his life to a point that he is completely different person that is being forced to learn how to adjust in society without the help and support he truly needs.

I hope this statement helps in you making the right decision to help (withheld) with his claim.

Thank you,

(Withheld)

Any changes needed? is this sufficient?

Edited by Crosis

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Buck52 said:

They did you wrong   you could possibly have CUE on that...you need to get your C-file and find theses records you sent in.

I hope you got a sign certified receipt back from the P.O.

It's your prof you sent in your evidence  without it  its their word against yours.   if you sent these in they should be in your C-file...the C-file is very very Important ..you can see whats all in it.

I've been told I should look into a CUE. I do not have my C-File but I have my original from when I got out...

I do not have a receipt of my mailing it to them from 2006, I wish I did.

"I got out in 2006, I received 70% and it was all physical, I was denied for PTSD as being not service connected."

If your PTSD claim was included as part of the 2006 claims, maybe it is still an open issue.

Unless it was filed as a separate issue ---

but  it was acknowledged on the rating info you posted...

"They also never sent me in for any kind of C&P. I went in for a meeting with a gentleman at Balboa in July 2006 and he literally told me "You weren't a Grunt, so you can't have PTSD, and I think this meeting is over" and I was excused from his office."

Was he a vet rep or some sort of social worker at VA?

If you succeed on the PTSD claim now, and the claim is in your C file ( I found important stuff in my C file they told me had "never existed". Of course it was probative evidence they chose to ignore.) then there might be a possibility of getting a better EED than the one they will give you,if you have filed a new claim for PTSD.

The 2006 decision might hold a CUE but we dont know what it says, so that is a BIG 'Might".