VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD due to MST checklist?

Rate this question

MamaRo

Question

Hello, I’ve recently begun the process to file for PTSD due to MST. I want to be sure I do my due diligence before I officially submit any claim. My main question is, has anyone put together a solid “checklist” for what a FDC should contain for this issue? Or is there a website that can help me?

Ive submitted my intent to file, requested my medical files from the VA, begun seeing a VA therapist (which has officially diagnosed the PTSD), and gathered my civilian medical records.

Im in a holding pattern while I wait for the records, but I want to be working on any letters or exams I may need. Should I have the VA therapist fill out a DBQ for the PTSD, or would that just get thrown out since I’ll need a C & P exam?

thank you so much for your help!

Boards like this are what finally gave  e the courage to come forward and face this.  

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Yes, there is a checklist.  

1.  Check your file for a current diagnosis.  

2.  Check your file for an "in service event", sometimes known as "stressor".  

3.  Check your file for a nexus, or doctors opinion that your (PTSD/MST) is "at least as likely as not" due to your documented in service event.  

Number's 1 and 3 have to be made by a doctor.  

Number 2 can be documented with "lay testimony", that is, testimony of people who are not doctors or nurses.  Maybe somone observed something, etc.  

Hopefully, you reported it and its documented.  

Beyond that, you need to have your symptoms documented.    The Caluza elements, above, are what you need for SC, nothing more, nothing less.  

You need to be "in treatment" to probably get any compensation.  Simply having a bad experience in the service is not going to warrant compensation, you have to show how it currently affects your life, especially, your ability to earn an income.  The criteria for all mental health disorders (PTSD, depression, bipolar, MST, etc) are the same and are rated, once SC on the degree of "occupational and social impairment".  

For example "total occupational and social impairment" is 100 percent.  This means your disorder means you cant work and have poor social relationships as well.  For more detalis on how you will be rated, read here:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/4.130

Read this, also, for more details:  https://cck-law.com/news/military-sexual-trauma-mst-service-connection/