VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Type 1 Diabetes recent onset!

Rate this question

Marc14

Question

I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in September 2017 OUT OF NOWHERE.

i am a Navy Reservist and deployed in later 2009 to mid 2010 and again later 2014 to mid 2015; had a 2 year recall between those deployments.  

Only healthcare received since commissioning in 2008 was from the Navy and no issues EVER.

insulin dependent and have dietary restrictions and in a non deployable status.

VA denied initial claim due to Type 1 not showing on active duty and now appealing.

Anyone with successful experience getting a rating with my circumstances?  I live in Upstate New York.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

20 hours ago, Marc14 said:

I do have access to my medical record and the has NEVER been an issue with blood sugar levels; and I have gone through it with a Navy doctor and my primary care doctor.

I’m a Supply Corps Officer in the Navy Reserves.  I was deployed to Iraq, in Al Asad, 2009-2010 and to a ship out of Bahrain 2014-2015.

i also spent two years after my Iraq deployment on active duty but stationed in Coronado, CA.

is there any credence to the anthrax vaccine causing Type 1?

Anthrax could be a possible cause.

On 2/9/2019 at 11:30 AM, Marc14 said:

I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in September 2017 OUT OF NOWHERE.

i am a Navy Reservist and deployed in later 2009 to mid 2010 and again later 2014 to mid 2015; had a 2 year recall between those deployments.  

Only healthcare received since commissioning in 2008 was from the Navy and no issues EVER.

insulin dependent and have dietary restrictions and in a non deployable status.

VA denied initial claim due to Type 1 not showing on active duty and now appealing.

Anyone with successful experience getting a rating with my circumstances?  I live in Upstate New York.

Anyone diagnosed outside the year from active duty, I was diagnosed 14 months after coming off active duty, and I’m being told that the VA will not accept a claim outside of a year from active duty.  

• Founder

If you have symptoms that link to diabetes in your service medical records, then you may have a shot, other than that I am not sure. Others can chime in.

Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection.

Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection see COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

1. Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)
  2. In Service Event or Aggravation.
  3. Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”

This is also known as the “Hickson Elements” for a later case. Why you need to know:  If all 3 of these things are not documented in your medical and service records, then you will need to obtain this documentation before getting service connected.  This applies if you applied last week, or 10 years ago.

Note:  Secondary Service Connection and Presumptive’s are a little easier.  If you have a diagnosis, and a doctor says that your diagnosis is at least as likely as not a result of your (service connected condition), then you need not AGAIN establish an in service event or aggravation.    A presumptive Service connection means if you meet the applicable criteria, then your condition is “presumed” to be caused by military service.  You are still gonna need a current diagnosis, but you may get a bye on the nexus if you meet the requisite criteria for presumptive conditions.

Hickson Elements

In order to establish service connection for the claimed disorder, there must be

1. medical evidence of a current disability;
  2.  medical, or in certain circumstances, lay evidence of the incurrence or aggravation of a disease or injury in service or during the presumptive period; and
  3. medical evidence of a nexus between the claimed in-service disease or injury and the current disability. Hickson v. West, 12 Vet. App. 247, 253 (1999).

More on Caluza Triangle from member Broncovet: