VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The dbq I just received...

Rate this question

AtlMarine

Question

I realize PTSD disability claims and %'s are solely up to the VA personnel to decide upon, but would any of you "experts" read my dbq and weigh-in with your opinion as to:

a) my chances of approval and if so

b) what % range I Might get approved for by the VA?

I greatly appreciate this forum and the people who help educate and give opinions to the rest of us on the VA disability claim process.

* I am well aware that no one on this forum can tell me for sure: a) if I will get approved and b) what %. I'm only asking for an opinion.*

Thank you.

DBQ.pdf

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I greatly appreciate all of the feedback. This is really helpful.

I also have a buddy letter from another squadleader in my unit who witnessed the event/death happening as well. And I have another buddy letter from my brother describing an episode where I violently head butted him as well as my change in behavior after my discharge from the Marines. So far I have:

1) the attached dbq

2) the 2 buddy letters (one from a witness from my unit)

3) I also got a documented job history from social security admin of all jobs I've had since my discharge in 1993. I have had approx. 90 jobs since my discharge. I can't keep a job.

It's now up to the VA.

Thanks again 

9 hours ago, Berta said:

I agree too- this might well warrant a high rating But- the stressor- can that be confirmed?

It should be in your unit's morning reports.

I am not concerned at all that it (DBQ) says you do not meet the full PTSD criteria. Many vets dont-

you do not exhibit a suicidal ideation- that is a Good thing . Many vets with PTSD don't

either but they still have PTSD.

I agree with vetquest that they might consider this as PTSD with  the additional diagnosis in Part 2 ,I think under (b).

Wouldn't the stressor be corroborated with the JSSRC? 

If the VA asks  JSRRC to do that, it might be----

Vets can write to JSRRC  themselves- the JSRRC needs details- as many as possible and  the place and  the date must be as accurate as possible - I believe they only search for a 3 months period surrounding the estimated date the veteran gives of a stressor.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Ms berta, I used this method when I filed my claim...but I think I read some where? not sure but the time and location the event happen needs to be within a 10-29 day time frame or close to that...or other things to help you remember   like the time of the year it happen like Christmas or Easter ect,,ect,,  it  helps speed up the search when we can pin point the time location and dates these events happen  also yes use your two buddy statements...that all helps.

Great info Buck-

Department of the Army

U.S. Army & Joint Services Records Research Center (JSRRC)

7701 Telegraph Road

Kingman Building, Suite 2C08

Alexandria, Virginia 22315-3802

Telephone number: 703-428-6801

I always tell Vietnam vets what was Hanoi Hannah talking about when it occurred, or whatever was in the nerws back home ( which Hannah often mentioned in her  propaganda spiel ) and you are correct that a holiday can help narrow down the date. Also even letters back home, if the family kept them.

I posted a Vietnam war map here years ago- if anyone needs- because the places often had Americanized names ( aka Monkey Mountain)yet the Vietnam spelling of the vills, etc is on the map.

It is amazing how a map of  say Irag, Kuwait, Vietnam, etc etc, can bring memories and even dates and places back.

Vietnam Map.jpg

• HadIt.com Elder

Here is  a list of Mental Disorders &PTSD Ratings, you need to look at the symptoms  as this is how they rate PTSD and the severity of it  by your symptoms!

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders

Rating

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name.100%

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships.70%

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships.50%

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events).30%

Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or symptoms controlled by continuous medication.10%

A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication.0%