VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Getting SC for Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

SandyO

Question

I came off a five year overseas deployment in 2017. I had horrible sleeping issues (recorded in medical file) and last year was rated for insomnia and headaches. Also, last year I had a sleep study done and was prescribed and using a CPAP but claim for sleep apnea came back not service connected; everything was done through the VA and my sleep doctor is with the VA.  How can I get this service connected? 

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Unless you were diagnosed with sleep apnea in the service you're going to have to do it as a secondary condition to an already service connected disability.  Sleep apnea and insomnia are different.  You'll need a doctor to say it's at least as likely as not or more likely than not caused by and or aggravated by your disability.  Chris Attig has a great sleep apnea book on his veterans law blog website.

You can get an attorney that will walk you through the appeal.  I wouldn't deal with a VSO.  Bite the bullet and pay the fee after you win your claim.  Good luck.

Edited by MrStryker

On 2/12/2019 at 2:20 PM, SandyO said:

I came off a five year overseas deployment in 2017. I had horrible sleeping issues (recorded in medical file) and last year was rated for insomnia and headaches. Also, last year I had a sleep study done and was prescribed and using a CPAP but claim for sleep apnea came back not service connected; everything was done through the VA and my sleep doctor is with the VA.  How can I get this service connected? 

So to answer your question, I am going through the same thing; however, mine is now in appeal under the RAMP system and it has been pretty fast. I had mine service connected through a secondary illness and had prior ships doctor write letter stating such.  I am told this is getting ready to be approved but not sure at what rating?

The interesting thing is that I am 59 years old and presently at (90% with 91 VA points ) which means that 50% would put me over to the 100% catagory, but everyone knows the VA will try to avoid this.  I also had a few other things wrapped in this appeal though so we will see?   I wish you all the best in your quest.

As always, stick with the basics:  Have you ordered your cfile, and have you checked to make sure you have all 3 caluza elements documented?  

No, you dont need a OSA diagnosis in service, but you do need an "in service event" or aggravation, that a doctor says caused your OSA.