VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

prostate approved

Rate this question

victor Gilkes

Question

Hi Everyone.  Rec'd approval for prostate cancer due to service connection with Herbicide exposure.  They gave me 20% after my C&P exam.  I told them I have go get up at night to use the bathroom 3-4 times and have to use bathroom during daytime every 2-3 hours.  They stated I would have gotten a bigger increase if I used the bathroom 5 times at night and every hour during the daytime. It already causes a inconvenience getting up 3-4 times at night and looking for a bathroom while out in public. 

Can I appeal the decision they made?  If so, what do I need to write up for the appeal?  Thanks for your support.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Just now, victor Gilkes said:

So my condition has gotten worst.  This has caused an increase of voiding dysfunction.  I am using the bathroom at least 5 times at night and every hour.  I have been going to an urologist at the DC VA med center.  He has prescribed two meds, Mirabegron and Tamsulosin to curb the amount of times I go to the bathroom.  Sometimes it works and most times it does not!  I need to put in for an increase.  It also has caused ED to become frequently.  It must be from the side effects of the meds.  Is this under voiding dysfunction?

So my condition has gotten worst.  This has caused an increase of voiding dysfunction.  I am using the bathroom at least 5 times at night and every hour.  I have been going to an urologist at the DC VA med center.  He has prescribed two meds, Mirabegron and Tamsulosin to curb the amount of times I go to the bathroom.  Sometimes it works and most times it does not!  I need to put in for an increase.  It also has caused ED to become frequently.  It must be from the side effects of the meds.  Is this under voiding dysfunction?

I have not appealed yet.  Trying to get an understanding on how to proceed with the correct wording on the appeal.

• HadIt.com Elder

Victor, we don't know what you are currently rated at. If you go to http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/thegenitourinarysystem.html it gives you the criteria for rating the condition under urinary rating systems, if you go 5 times or more for example, it is rated at 40%. Review and see if those conditions listed compare to what you are doing now. If you are s-c, then the VA should also be furnishing protective pads, and the more you use them is a consideration in your rating. Research Hadit and see many references to your problem for assistance. Do you have a copy of your C&P exam? If you do, compare where you are now compared to where you were symptoms-wise then to now.You could get a doc to update a dbq, especially if you use an outside civilian doc, and if the conditions warrant an increase it would help. Depending on how long ago you were first rated, it may not be necessary if you have the right evidence. If you use a VA doc, you could ask him if he recognizes how your conditions have gotten worse. If he agrees, as him to at least put those opinions in your progress notes. Do some research. Good luck.

On 9/12/2019 at 7:28 AM, GBArmy said:

Victor, we don't know what you are currently rated at. If you go to http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/thegenitourinarysystem.html it gives you the criteria for rating the condition under urinary rating systems, if you go 5 times or more for example, it is rated at 40%. Review and see if those conditions listed compare to what you are doing now. If you are s-c, then the VA should also be furnishing protective pads, and the more you use them is a consideration in your rating. Research Hadit and see many references to your problem for assistance. Do you have a copy of your C&P exam? If you do, compare where you are now compared to where you were symptoms-wise then to now.You could get a doc to update a dbq, especially if you use an outside civilian doc, and if the conditions warrant an increase it would help. Depending on how long ago you were first rated, it may not be necessary if you have the right evidence. If you use a VA doc, you could ask him if he recognizes how your conditions have gotten worse. If he agrees, as him to at least put those opinions in your progress notes. Do some research. Good luck.

Where can I get a copy of my C& P exam?

Where can I get a copy of my C&P exam?

• HadIt.com Elder

If it was done at a VA facility it is posted fairly quickly (supposedly). You can get a copy by asking for it at the RO where your records are filed. You will have to fill ot a release for it. If it was done at a contractor's facility, it does take awhile to get it to the RO sometimes. You can also get a copy from ebenefits. You have to sign up for a premium account, but it can be useful for a lot of things. I suggest you give that a try sometime.