VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Satisfied with Statement of the Case partial increase, now what?

Rate this question

USCG MK3

Question

I am currently 50% disabled for PTSD.  I filed an NOD on November 14th. On December 10th & received a SOC (statement of the case) which gave me a partial grant to 70% because I am still employable & am able to maintain a full time job. I decided not to pursue this any further and am satisfied with their decision (at least for now). The SOC stated if I am satisfied to send them something in writing stating I agree with the DRO decision. On December 12th I faxed the VA in writing a letter of agreement. The SOC stated in 60 days the decision would become final. I am now past 60 days and on ebennies nothing has changed, when I called them they said everything is still pending.

My question is how long does it take to get my increase? My rep told me because I didn’t with to pursue anything further it should be quick and at any time, but that was over a month ago. My rating on ebenefits still indicated I am at 50%.

Thanks in advance
USCG MK3

4 answers to this question

Whenever someone says, "I was told".  Or, my rep told me...., I cringe.  

I think my appeals will likely be done sometime in 2020 or 2021, and then I can calculate how much a VSO's bad advice has cost me.  It will be in the thousands.  

Neither your VSO, nor I have any idea "how long" it will take VA to "go to the water cooler", much less process your claim.  I can tell you its almost always longer than you think it will be. 

And, VA will complete your claim EXACTLY when "they want to", and not one second earlier.  

Edited by broncovet

I agree with everything broncovet has stated.  I personally believe that it is now taking longer for things to get updated and monies to be paid because the BVA is clearing so many cases recently.

Just remember that your increased disability is like money in the bank though.  It accrues while the VA is waiting to get their act together.

• Lead Moderator

So since it looks like your claim is at the regional office still, this could be good news for you.  You could be looking at months instead of years.  I am currently going onto my first year of waiting to get an appeal applied to my %.  I know for all of my previous approvals at the local it was applied within 6 months or less.  I think they have two piles one for local claims where they pass them from on desk to another to see who will finally take care of it.  The other they take that months appeals and place them into a box and go out back to bury them until they are ready for them.  Kind of like a time capsule.  

But bronco and vet are both correct.  It is the final hurry up and wait!

USCG MK3,

Have you gotten your rating changed on benefits yet? And have the started to pay you for the change and/or back pay, if any? I am in the samw boat now. I was sent an SOC 4/10, which I got in the mail 4/18. It gave me an increase, which will ultimately raise my overall rating and give me a back pay as well. But I just don't know how long it will take to reflect in benefits and send me money. So I was just wondering if you were still waiting? I'm also on financial hardship so it is supposed to be faster than normal but we'll see. 

Also, I got three other conditions that were newly service connected but there is no rating so I'm wondering if you or anyone knows how long that will take?

Thanks