VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P for Ptsd: What to expect?

Rate this question

AtlMarine

Question

I greatly appreciate the members who gave me feedback on my dbq the other day.

I just submitted my fully developed claim for ptsd with the following:

1) dbq- attached 

2) Two buddy letters: one from a buddy who witnessed the same killing I witnessed. The other is from my brother giving accounts of my behavior since I came home from the Corps. My brother says that I have headbutted him on two occassions when we had a heated discussion. Another friend said I did the same to him. I don't remember head butting either. But I know I get heated up easily.

3) Social Security Record:  Job history print out: 95 jobs in 26 years

MY QUESTION IS: What should I expect when the VA schedules my C&P exam? Do all fully developed claims go to a C&P?

Specifically, what kinds of questions and what takes place at the exam?

Does the examiner just go over what I provided or test me or what?

I don't want to overthink it, but I sure as heck want to be prepared because I don't trust the VA in Atlanta.

Thanks

DBQ.pdf

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

AtlMarine, the C & P exam will consist of the questionnaire that may located in one of many postings located on this site.  It will consist of your work history, how you handle work and social life.  In addition, the examiner will ask how you are feeling on that particular day.  Be honest tell the examiner how your military service has impacted those areas that were mentioned before.  I wish you best, it will be difficult reliving those difficult aspects of your military service, but it is key to providing the examiner that with your story.  I wish you the best.

3 minutes ago, ArmyMajor said:

AtlMarine, the C & P exam will consist of the questionnaire that may located in one of many postings located on this site.  It will consist of your work history, how you handle work and social life.  In addition, the examiner will ask how you are feeling on that particular day.  Be honest tell the examiner how your military service has impacted those areas that were mentioned before.  I wish you best, it will be difficult reliving those difficult aspects of your military service, but it is key to providing the examiner that with your story.  I wish you the best.

1 hour ago, AtlMarine said:

I greatly appreciate the members who gave me feedback on my dbq the other day.

I just submitted my fully developed claim for ptsd with the following:

1) dbq- attached 

2) Two buddy letters: one from a buddy who witnessed the same killing I witnessed. The other is from my brother giving accounts of my behavior since I came home from the Corps. My brother says that I have headbutted him on two occassions when we had a heated discussion. Another friend said I did the same to him. I don't remember head butting either. But I know I get heated up easily.

3) Social Security Record:  Job history print out: 95 jobs in 26 years

MY QUESTION IS: What should I expect when the VA schedules my C&P exam? Do all fully developed claims go to a C&P?

Specifically, what kinds of questions and what takes place at the exam?

Does the examiner just go over what I provided or test me or what?

I don't want to overthink it, but I sure as heck want to be prepared because I don't trust the VA in Atlanta.

Thanks

DBQ.pdf

Most likely you'll be awarded "PTSD with SSD" both fall under mental health conditions. You possibly could claim Erectile Dysfunction under Special Monthly Compensation. It is rated 0%, but because it is loss of a creative organ it's an extra $100.

The examiner noted that you have  Total occupational and social impairment. That's rated 100%. The good part about the DBQ is that a favorable Nexus of Opinion is present and a detailed rationale is present.

Everything points to a favorable decision for you. 

Best wishes.

ArmyMajor and doc25, thanks for your input. I greatly appreciate it.

* I've looked for the ptsd C & P exam questionnaire but cannot find one.

** What is "PTSD with SSD"? I know what ptsd is but what is the "SSD" mean?

Thanks again to both of you. It's very helpful.

I have had some horrendous experiences with many at the VA claims dept. in Atlanta. Having said that, there are many helpful people in the VA hospital once you get in past the "gate keepers". 

7 minutes ago, AtlMarine said:

ArmyMajor and doc25, thanks for your input. I greatly appreciate it.

* I've looked for the ptsd C & P exam questionnaire but cannot find one.

** What is "PTSD with SSD"? I know what ptsd is but what is the "SSD" mean?

Thanks again to both of you. It's very helpful.

I have had some horrendous experiences with many at the VA claims dept. in Atlanta. Having said that, there are many helpful people in the VA hospital once you get in past the "gate keepers". 

If you read the top of the DBQ you posted; it shows that it's a PTSD DBQ.

Under Section 1 line #2. You are diagnosed with  (a) PTSD and (b) SSD.

SSD is Somatic Symptom Disorder. It falls under a mental health condition. All mental health conditions are rated the same.

By law, the VA can not rate two similar conditions seperately. That's known as pyramiding...and that's a no-no. 

PTSD with SSD would be how the VA rater would need to combine both to avoid pyramiding.

• HadIt.com Elder

At a Forensic PTSD C&P Exam  a lot depends on what type of examiner you get stuck with , some are just A/H's and some are Veteran friendly  you will know when you first meet him/her? and how they conduct the exam .

Yes they have information on the computer right there in front of  them a Look at your evidence and what type treatment you have had and who diagnose you with the evaluation of DSM 5 PTSD , then they read off the PTSD DBQ 21-0960-P The Questions the DBQ Ask  they may ask you about your stressors if they are not on your DD 214 OR IN YOUR SERVICE RECORDS.  evidence evidence evidence  wins claims.

PTSD Diagnoses Needs to come from the VA..Not a Private Doc.

But at this stage all this should be documented.  

The best thing to do is answer  all questions honestly/truthfully and if you don't know  just say I don't know. (if they catch you in one lie  that will be an automatic denial ) Usually!

And never never raise your voice at the examiner always be kind and nice.

Clink this Link for the PTSD DBQ.  Give some Idea what to expect.

https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-0960P-3-ARE.pdf