• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

jamesriley1990

VA says they cant diagnosis PTSD

Question

I have been seeing a  Private psychologist for my PTSD treatment and he has given me a diagnosis and relates it to my military service. But, with the advice from the board, I started going to the VA psychologist to obtain a diagnosis from them. At my appointment, I told them I have been going to see my private doctor every month and told them that I wanted them to request the records to show that I was seeking treatment. She basically kept saying that the VA does not diagnose PTSD because it takes to long (many hours?) and that I need to get with the Texas Veterans Commission (My VSO) and they set me up with a third party doctor to obtain a diagnosis. None of this sounds right to me.

No, your doctor seeing you at the VA will not say you have PTSD.  But only the VA can diagnosis SC PTSD.  What you need to do is file a claim through your VSO and request to be rated for mental health.  Depending on your region they may send you to a third party doctor or you will see one of theirs.  Do you have a combat ribbon?  Is there anything in your records that states you have faced a traumatic event?

You need:

1.  A traumatic event in your medical records or service record or combat.

2.  A continuing mental health issue.

3.  A nexus that relates the event to your current mental health issue.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Once you have filed the VA will set you up for a C&P exam, bring all of your relevant information to this exam in case the examiner does not have it.  After your C&P you will be rated.  Do not tell the doctor that you have PTSD, he is there to decide that.  Be truthful and forthcoming to the doctor with no dramatics.         

Edited by vetquest
  • Like 2

Vetquest has some good info on this.

However I was diagnose from the VA MH by Dr, 2  different VA Psychologist & VA  Phyistrist  and was put in treatment Immediately and was prescribe medications, and after about a month I was sent to the sleep clinic because I started to stop breathing while I slept at night and snoring very loud  AFTER TAKING THESE MEDICATIONS (SPOUSE NOTICES IT)

They (sleep clinic) sent  me to a private sleep study &They Had Mention the medications was the cause, related  to and was I prescribe a C-Pap Machine to use, anyway ,it was about 6 months before I filed a claim for PTSD and high Anxiety with moderate depression, since they don't give the veteran but one MH Diagnoses they said I had Unspecific Mental Disorders BASED OFF THE 5 DIFFERENT DSM  Criteria and was diagnose with Chronic Combat PTSD as to which I am still in treatment  (VA Therapy) 

Just my opinion but some times these C&P examiner's will deny the PTSD if they don't have a PTSD Diagnosis From the VA Qualified Doc's 

It was then I filed my claim and in about 3 weeks after filing I was sent to a Forensic  C&P Exam from QTC  Examiner (License Psychologist/Phyistrist  Ph.D) she read off the computer mostly my symptoms and said to me she has read about my stressor's in my records and would not be asking me about them...then ask me a lot of questions  pertaining  to my behavior and symptoms, my work issues was not addressed because of the TDIU P&T But did ask me if I ever thought about killing my self or Harming another person and if I had a short fuse ticking time bomb ect,,,ect,,, (TODAY)

I said No not today  but yes at times I have and I had put my entire family through Hell and I'm tired of it  tired of hurting the ones I love and tired of the Pain.

(Note : I never filed for Sleep Apnea) maybe I should but maybe later  if it keeps bothering me  there's no more comp $$ in it for me  for S.A.

Not worth the stress  besides if you have been rating for a S.C.Condition over 10 years  then it don't matter what you die of , it can be a Non serviceable condition  for spouse DIC.

So actually at your C&P Exam is when they choose how your going to be rated  depending on the symptoms that is written down so the examiner can put the X in the correct box..the raters rely heavily on these examiners for this particular reason.

I did not want to be diagnose with PTSD  and hid it for years but it got to where I could no longer hide it and after I was diagnosed I sent in for my C-file and got some of my STR'S and the records I needed to file  for this claim.

I was rated at 70% chronic  combat PTSD and treatment needed.

I was alreadyAT 90%Combined rating with TDIU P&T for over 14 years for another condition   which this 70% made me meet the Criteria for the SMC-S HOME Bound and along with ED Claim I got SMC -K.

I had went to a private urologist but I never needed too it was all in my VA Records from the VA Urologist Clinic and also my PCP VA Dr had prescribe me the methods of trying to not have ED by the Blue Pill and Pumps and she sent me back to urology for the penis injection classes....needless to say none work  but the Injections did after finding the correct MG usages but it Kills the Mood.

I feel less a man now with a PTSD Dx & Rating  when people find out they treat you like a crazy person.

I am in treatment to cope with all this and the High Anxiety trying to discover the tools to cope with this horrible Disease 

Edited by Buck52

Buck, your DX is really  no one else's business.  As far as feeling less of a man please do not.  A lot of people who have not been to combat have PTSD, I am one of them.  I worked in the civilian world for over 35 years and I have seen some of the people who might judge you.  You would be surprised to see what I have seen in these people.  Their marriages are a wreck, some of them are alcoholics, and others have anxiety the same as we do.

The VA can and does diagnose PTSD, if the DSM-V criteria are met. It sounds like you may have spoken with someone at the VA who might be new or did not give you the whole story. However, sometimes they might have to start with a different diagnosis and come to the conclusion of PTSD over time. Sharing your non-VA MH records with your regular VA MH team can help by providing a treatment history. This might reduce the time they need to make a PTSD diagnosis, if warranted.

Due to regulation changes around 2012, the VA deemed themselves the final decision maker of PTSD diagnosis' via C&P exams. That means that if your VA MH doc or non-VA MH doc has diagnosed you with PTSD, only the VA C&P MH doc can determine if you are SC for it. Hopefully, they will change that at some point. I personally would trust the diagnosis of someone who knows and has treated me in the long term vs. someone who might spend a small amount of time in my file.

Keep in mind that we can only get a single MH rating regardless of the number of issues diagnosed by the MH docs. If they diagnose you with something other than PTSD, you can and may still get SC for it.

Roger that Vetquest!!!