• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
pyrotaz

Started My MST/PTSD Journey

Question

I met with a VSO on Feb 8th 2019 and started my MST/PTSD claim. To be totally honest I am scared to death. The incidents happened during my Navy duty 88-89. I had hid it from everyone including my wife until this past December. I had went to a VSO  to talk about other claims when it slipped out and I was offered help to form a claim.  We filed an intent to claim in Dec 2018. She suggested I talk with my wife and make an appointment with my doctor. After sitting and having a very emotional talk with my wife and with her support I made an appointment with my personal doctor. I am very lucky to have a great doctor who sat with me and after many tears I was able to explain in detail what had happened. He diagnosed me with extreme anxiety mostly when dealing with other Males ( Authority Figures or when confronted), and PTSD/MST and prescribed an anxiety as needed.

What we submitted:

1. A two page statement from me ( Timeline form)
  2. A statement from my wife
  3. A statement from from my 20 yr old son detailing my issues with examples of my issues with male authority figures 
  4. A Nexus statement from my Doctor saying he feels that my anxiety and PTSD is definitely caused by what happened while I served. The VSO said that it was the best written Nexus statement she has ever seen  in her 10 years in doing Veteran claims. 

My Questions:

1. After submitting a claim to the VSO how long before it shows up on ebenefits? Mine still shows as intent to file. The VSO says it has been submitted.
  2. What can I expect at my C & P exam? How can I prepare myself for the exam? This is what I dread/fear most. 
  3.  Is it ok if I post my journey?

I also want to thank all the men and women who have submitted to the MST forum.  I now know I am not alone. Being a male and reading that similar things has happened to other males and reading their journeys  has prepared me to start my journey and start the healing process.

You will hear from the VA about a C&P appointment in their own time.  Maybe 30 to 60 days.  At this C&P be honest with the doctor and do not try to snow him.  If you have anxiety that is fine, just do not raise your voice.  Describe what your worst day is like, not your best day.  You will probably come out of the appointment feeling like you have been through the wringer but that is normal.  

When I submitted my PTSD claim thru a VSO, it took a week or 2 before it showed up on eBenefits. Then it took another 2 months before I got my C&P Exam. It is really hard to know what they are going to ask but read over everything before going to your appointment. Do take a copy of any documentation you have. If you get a good examiner, they will have reviewed your packet before meeting with you.

Do be very honest during the appointment and tell your story as it happen and how it has affected your daily life. During my C&P Exam, I had the Doctor laughing, because of some of the stupid stuff I have done over the years. My event happen in 1984 (non-combat), so they did not give me a PTSD rating but did rate me for persistent depressive disorder (dysthymia) with anxious distress (now claimed as PTSD, previously denied as adjustment disorder) at 30%. A month ago they changed it to persistent depressive disorder (dysthymia) with Insomnia. 

Best of luck!

Noticed today my claim finally should up on MYVA for initial review. To be honest to see it online knowing that the journey to tell my story and get the help I need was very overwhelming. it was a very emotional day. I know that my journey has just begun and one of the hardest part of it  the C & P exam will be coming soon. I think of all the things I dread its C & P exam the most. Tp come out about what happened to my Wife and my doctors was by far the most hardest thing I ever had to do. Now I have to relive it again to a complete stranger and I am scared to death.  Although everyone's story here is different I find comfort in reading them all and realizing I am not alone which for a long time I thought I was. Thank you for all the post and support.

Yep, the C&P's are stressful, I think the waiting is about as stressful.  Hang in there and let us know how it is going.

Received the call from my local VA to set up the date for my C & P exam. Next Thursday the 13th at 8:00 in the morning. I thought I was ready for this and while on the phone with the receptionist I started shacking and my pulse went up to 156 beats per minute. I took the day off from work and my wife will be with me for support. She will stay on the grounds and I will call her when done. I am a nervous wreck but know I can and half to do this.

• Like 2