VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I am amaze! Hoping for a great outcome!

Rate this topic

Patton

18 hours ago, Patton said:

Well it took a little longer than a month, but in the end the VA granted me 30% for GERD's. They did use the DBQ from my Private Doctor.

That's awesome!

7 hours ago, vetquest said:

Great.  What does that put you at?

Thanks vetquest - 80% - I also have one appeal pending for Plantar fasciitis. 

2 hours ago, doc25 said:

That's awesome!

Thanks doc25 - I have started working on my next claim for IBS and Sleep Apnea. IBS should be straight forward, as it is documented in my Military records and I am still being treated for it now that I am going to a Private Doctor. The VA had me on Meds for it but would not diagnosis it.

Sleep Apnea is going to be a fight because I was not diagnosis with it until the VA MH sent me to a Sleep Study. I am looking for a Doctor that will review all my Medical Records and then give a opinion but it is hard since I am in Germany. I have researched the information you have gave me in another post and believe GERD's is at least part of the cause for my Sleep Apnea. I am also service connected for anxiety, depression and insomnia. BDD (Benefits Delivery at Discharge) has reviewed my records and stated that I should also look at URI (Upper respiratory infection). He said that I should try to go to the American Sleep Center in Frankfurt but have not been able to contact them yet. 

If I can get service connected for both of these plus the Plantar Fasciitis, I should be very close to 100%. 

Thanks for all your help!

22 hours ago, Patton said:

Thanks doc25 - I have started working on my next claim for IBS and Sleep Apnea. IBS should be straight forward, as it is documented in my Military records and I am still being treated for it now that I am going to a Private Doctor. The VA had me on Meds for it but would not diagnosis it.

Sleep Apnea is going to be a fight because I was not diagnosis with it until the VA MH sent me to a Sleep Study. I am looking for a Doctor that will review all my Medical Records and then give a opinion but it is hard since I am in Germany. I have researched the information you have gave me in another post and believe GERD's is at least part of the cause for my Sleep Apnea. I am also service connected for anxiety, depression and insomnia. BDD (Benefits Delivery at Discharge) has reviewed my records and stated that I should also look at URI (Upper respiratory infection). He said that I should try to go to the American Sleep Center in Frankfurt but have not been able to contact them yet. 

If I can get service connected for both of these plus the Plantar Fasciitis, I should be very close to 100%. 

I didn't have Sleep Apnea diagnosed in-service, but I did get SC for PTSD with Depression. I claimed SA as secondary to PTSD medications. I was denied twice, I appealed each time, and the third time was the charm.

You can secondary connect OSA to your Mental health conditions, if you're taking meds. Since you also have insomnia, the sleep medication that I'm sure is prescribed to you, to help you sleep; can cause or make OSA worse(aggravate). 

You can secondary connect OSA also to GERD, but there's not alot of literature that I could find other than the case I believe I provided to you in that earlier post.

The URI claim suggested by BDD has to do more with chronic infections. That's what you will need to highlight in your claim. If you had recurrent and chronic respiratory infections well documented in your STR/SMR, and they still occur, you should have a relatively strong claim. 

[Read through the two articles I am providing at the bottom to give you an idea of which SC condition would make your OSA secondary claim stronger.]

GERD&Sleep Apnea.pdf Psychiatric Disorders and Sleep Apnea article.pdf

• HadIt.com Elder
23 hours ago, Patton said:

yes if you get S.C. For them both it could boost you on up. but don't count on those.

The Sleep Apnea Is what I would definitely file on  if you use a C-Pap that the Dr's tell you is necessary to use because of your health,  its usually 50% rating   you  may need to see if your Sleep Apnea can be secondary to one or more of your service connected conditions and file the Sleep Apnea Secondary Claim to one of those.  check with the right Dr's on the Sleep Apnea claim and ask if your sc******    .>can be related to OSA? 

Ask that Dr if he will give his medical opinion that  this  veteran s.c. ***** is likely  as not related to his OSA  as I it understand this Veteran is prescribe a C-PAP BY THE VA Sleep clinic after his prescribe sleep study.ect,,,ect,,,  you will need a Dr's help with this.

Your other two conditions may or may not be enough to boost you up to the 100%  but with them and the OSA  that will definitely put you on up to 100% possibly SMC-S H.B.

Good Luck My Brother

Just remember just because you use a C-pap don't nessessarily mean the raters will give you a rating for it...you need the Dr;s help in connecting the two. 

look into our C-FILE and  myhealevet notes. for possible favorable notations when you had your sleep study done.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

A good example of a secondary claim for Sleep Apnea

Example Only

Say your S.C. For PTSD

Would be PTSD  you can say or the Dr''s can say that your VA Diagnose of sleep apnea is related to your PTSD.....so you can file a secondary claim due to your PTSD & Medications  if you have a Dr to connect the two.

But it has to be a qualified Dr to give his medical opinion on this.

without the help of the Docs your Sleep Apnea Will be denied.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use