VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How to apply for disability for Hypothyroidism

Rate this question

USNJAGLN

Question

I'm currently at 70%, pending an appeal for PTSD.  Over the last couple years, VA has been watching my thyroid (multiple nodules), ended up having a total thyroidectomy this past December, so I am on the Synthroid roller coaster, trying to get my levels under control, dealing with depression, sensitivity to light, sensitivity to cold, nausea, dry skin, headaches, fatigue, etc. - this condition has severely impacted/changed my way of life.  I've always had struggles with my weight, being borderline for the weigh-ins, was put on the PT program because I was over the body fat %, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea (non-service connected; they never tested me while I was active duty).  How do I approach applying for service connection for the hypothyroidism with secondary sleep apnea (OSA) and depression?  People are telling me that there's a clear nexus there to prove service connection.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Were you diagnosed with a thyroid condition in service? If not, did you display hypothyroidism symptoms during your military service, in addition to the weight issue? 

If you have all your military medical records ("STRs" or service treatment records), ask a Registered Nurse, physician, or other knowledgeable medical professional to review your labs for any indicators of hypothyroidism (or any thyroid problem). 

I am not a physician. These are simply ideas based on my knowledge of the VA disability program in general. 

Both of my brothers have hypothyroidism so I know it's no fun, to say the least! Both of them did eventually start to feel better when, as you discussed, their docs were able to fine-tune the Synthroid (levothyroxine)  dosage. I hope you get to feeling better quickly!

~ Mark

Sensitivity to light

Sensitivity to light may be the result from rabies. Get rabies vaccinations. 

Sensitivity to cold. 

And you live in the Mid West? Maybe move to the Southwest.

Fatigue.

Again Illinois is know to have Lyme disease. Get a private blood labs done and get yourself lyme vaccination.

Dealing with depression.

This would be pyramiding. As you stated with that you have a claim for PTSD. PTSD is Post traumatic stress disorder. Thyroid causes depression. Pyramiding is the VA term for rating the same disability – or same manifestation (i.e. symptom) of a disability – twice. The term comes from a federal law – “Avoidance of pyramiding” – that prohibits the practice in VA disability claims.

How do I approach applying for service connection for the hypothyroidism with secondary sleep apnea (OSA) and depression?  People are telling me that there's a clear nexus there to prove service connection.

People?? Who are these "people." Well they are completely wrong and utterly misinformed. Again this would be pyramiding. Pyramiding is the VA term for rating the same disability – or same manifestation (i.e. symptom) of a disability – twice. The term comes from a federal law – “Avoidance of pyramiding” – that prohibits the practice in VA disability claims.

nausea

Have you change your diet to that of non GMO, non corn syrup, non HFCS?  Which happens to be in over 90% of all processed foods. Do you drink dirty water, no water filter on inlet water line? Have you ever considered taking a food allergy test? There are private centers in every major city, make an appointment to one.

As well as a private nutritionist.