VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PFT TEST by QTC

Rate this question

vern2

Question

Is it right for a QTC examiner to require you to use albuterol  (rescue inhaler) as part of your PFT test? Have had 2 prior tests by VA, never used albuterol.  Seems strange, was told by QTC, that if refused, would put me down as refusing the test?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

"Prior tests?"   Were those C and P exams also?  

The VA makes it clear.  If we want benefits we must comply with their rules.  

However, the VA does not have to comply with any of their rules, and there is no penalty if they dont.  

Have you check the criteria?  It may say whether its rated medicated or not.  

42 minutes ago, broncovet said:

"Prior tests?"   Were those C and P exams also?  

The VA makes it clear.  If we want benefits we must comply with their rules.  

However, the VA does not have to comply with any of their rules, and there is no penalty if they dont.  

Have you check the criteria?  It may say whether its rated medicated or not.  

have had 2 prior PFT, no albuterol, but those were done by VA, now the contractor insisted on doing albuterol.  made me sick and dizzy on drive home. the only reason I can find is if they are checking to see if you have asthma. I do not have asthma, exposed to oil field fires, much fine dust and had had breathing issues since then.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

When the VA did my C&P asthma exams, they performed two rounds of testing. First without medication, then with medication.

Per the DBQ:

5B. HAS PULMONARY FUNCTION TESTING (PFT) BEEN PERFORMED?

MOST RESPIRATORY CONDITIONS REQUIRE PULMONARY FUNCTION TESTING, SINCE PFT RESULTS REPRESENT A MAJOR BASIS FOR THEIR EVALUATION. HOWEVER, PULMONARY FUNCTION TESTING IS NOT REQUIRED IN ALL INSTANCES. FOR VA PURPOSES, IF THE VETERAN HAS ANY OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS, PFTs ARE NOT REQUIRED. IF PFTs HAVE NOT BEEN COMPLETED, INDICATE REASON:

- Veteran requires outpatient oxygen therapy
- Veteran has had 1 or more episodes of acute respiratory failure
- Veteran has been diagnosed with cor pulmonale, right ventricular hypertrophy or hypertension
- Veteran has had exercise capacity testing and results are 20 ml/kg/min or less
- Other, describe:

Further down:

5E. IF POST-BRONCHODILATOR TESTING HAS NOT BEEN COMPLETED, INDICATE REASON:
- Pre-bronchodilator results are normal
- Not indicated for veteran's condition
- Not indicated in veteran's particular case (If checked, provide reason):
- Other, describe:

Edited by Vync

3 hours ago, Vync said:

When the VA did my C&P asthma exams, they performed two rounds of testing. First without medication, then with medication.

Per the DBQ:

Further down:

yes, but I do not have asthma. Seems like QTC is seeking ways to deny my Gulf War breathing issues.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, vern2 said:

yes, but I do not have asthma. Seems like QTC is seeking ways to deny my Gulf War breathing issues.

Gotcha. It could be a case where you filed for X, but then the VA changes it to what they believe to be an analogous disability and send you to that exam. If you are having trouble passing air, they will go for the asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, COPD, etc... route.

When I had my last asthma C&P, they sent me to get the PFT's on one day, then a couple of weeks later I came back and was actually seen by the doc. A long time ago, they rolled everything up into a single day of visits.