VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100p&t just got scheduled a c&p exam

Rate this question

Breedlove

Question

I was rated 100% permanent and total last April. Today I received a letter for a c&p exam. I have not done anything with a new claim or anything like that. I called to confirm that I had an appointment and they said one was requested January 31st. They said it had not been submitted. I'm not sure what that means. Does anyone know why I would have another c&p since I am 100% p&t.

Thanks

I had a c&p scheduled for me also.  I callled my VSO, and she wrote a letter to the VA.  The letter stated that since I was p&t for PTSD, I should not have another exam.  The VSO told the VA to cancel the exam.

My situation might be a little different.  Originally , I had asked for an increase of my PTSD rating from 70 to 100.  I decided to withdraw my claim for an increased rating, but the VA wouldn’t cancel the exam.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:32 PM, Breedlove said:

I was rated 100% permanent and total last April. Today I received a letter for a c&p exam. I have not done anything with a new claim or anything like that. I called to confirm that I had an appointment and they said one was requested January 31st. They said it had not been submitted. I'm not sure what that means. Does anyone know why I would have another c&p since I am 100% p&t.

Thanks

Breedlove, this past February, I filed my supplemental/appeal claim (just before the 1 yr time frame ran out).  I filed my previous denied claims as "secondary" to my depression & anxiety, which I'd been rated 50% a couple years ago.   When I filed the supplemental claim,  I also filed for an increase for the depression & anxiety.   In early March, I had a mental health C&P exam and was awarded 100% P&T in April.   The supplemental claims are for fatigue, headaches, sleep apnea, memory loss & loss of concentration.   I also did a C&P in March for the headaches.   The memory loss was addressed as part of my mental health C&P exam.  My claim for headaches and memory loss were denied.   The claim for fatigue and sleep apnea was deferred.  The reason the supplemental claims are important at this point is because of the back pay that would be owed.

Last week I received a call from LHI saying the VA has requested a mental health exam.  I thought it was a mistake - since I just had a mental health exam in March and had already been rated 100% P&T.  I called the VA hotline and no one can tell me "why" another mental health exam was being requested when one was JUST done in March.   I can only assume that the increase request and/or supplemental claims triggered the exam request, however, I don't understand "why" when anything relating to mental health has already been rated or denied.

What was the outcome of your C&P exam for the disability you'd already been rated for at 100% P&T?  I am SO VERY concerned about this new exam because my son is starting college this Fall and I've made a claim for DEA benefits that will help out a lot.  My anxiety is off the charts waiting on this appointment, which is next week!  I'm so afraid there will be conflicting info w/ the prior exam and the VA decreases the benefits.  I'm wondering if the VA is trying to screw me over due to the back pay.

• HadIt.com Elder

Be sure to go to the exam. Make it perfectly clear that you received your 100% 4 months ago and you are totally stressed out by doing this again. Give examples ex. couldn't sleep the last several nights, panic attacks, the concern about the DEA issue, trying to get answers and no one can give an explaination, etc. As for getting screwed over back pay; par for the course. Expect it to be low-balled and that way you won't be surprised. You deal with it after you receive what you do. One step at a time.

8 hours ago, GBArmy said:

Be sure to go to the exam. Make it perfectly clear that you received your 100% 4 months ago and you are totally stressed out by doing this again. Give examples ex. couldn't sleep the last several nights, panic attacks, the concern about the DEA issue, trying to get answers and no one can give an explaination, etc. As for getting screwed over back pay; par for the course. Expect it to be low-balled and that way you won't be surprised. You deal with it after you receive what you do. One step at a time.

GBArmy, I will certainly attend the exam.  I called LHI and asked if they could schedule me with the same Dr. I did the last mental health exam with and they did.   This has relieved "some" of my anxiety since my BIG concern is about conflicting information being provided to the VA.