VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Increase from 0% for Actinic Keratosis/Precancer

Rate this question

Julie

Question

Hello everyone,

I retired in 2008 with a 0% for Actinic Keratosis/Pre-cancer on my face and denied chest and arms because it was not considered Chronic (20 years flight line/dek maint. San Diego, Hawaii, Lemoore, two carrier deployments).   Over the past 10 years I have had 9 visits to civilian dermatologists removing/Freezing areas on face neck and arms.  Recently had surgery to my face for Basel Cell Carcinoma with a beautiful round and long stitching to my temple/forehead and into my hairline with a graph behind my ear.  At  what point is it considered chronic?  I never want to experience the 7 hours of MOHS again so I am getting checked every six months or sooner if needed.  I'm not sure how they will measure my scar because it is now the size of a shot glass bottom attached to 2 inches of a tail.  Behind my ear is the same shot glass size.  I will request an increase from 0% but to include chest and arms that were denied.  Any suggestions on claim?  How do I measure my scars if they are circular/oblong shaped?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• Lead Moderator

So I am not totally familiar with this but this might be an area which this would be rated under. Also it could be covered under another skin condition. I am rated for a skin condition that needs constant therapy. Ie. Topical ointment and pain killers. 

If I were you I would look at the skin portion of va disability and see which one it better fits with. I found the hard way unless you specifically show them they will throw any random code they think matches. 

I am at 10% shooting for 60%  

Finally have a partial rating and back in for another C&P because the last exam did not document everything the VA needed.  30% for scaring of the head, face, and neck.  It was not long enough to fit into other categories however, 30% is better than I thought they would rate.

scarring s/p basal cell carcinoma, right temple with skin graft behind right ear

Edited by Julie