VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Facial scar ratings

Rate this question

ed33

Question

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the ratings for facial scars if anyone is familiar. The reg states "With visible or palpable tissue loss and either gross distortion or asymmetry of three or more features or paired sets of features (nose, chin, forehead, eyes (including eyelids), ears (auricles), cheeks, lips). 

My question is, what is their definition of gross distortion? Does that mean just an obvious, visible scar? Also, what about the top of my scalp? the scalp is not listed as a "feature" so if I have a big scar on my Cheek, forehead, and scalp is that 3 features or only 2 features?

Thanks

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

My face from collar up to cheek bones is scarred from bad cystic acne.  Easily 50% of my face.  The VA Doc denied me, the QTC second opinion disagreed with her and I was low balled at 10%.  Got a third opinion from a Dr. I hired who suggested based on VA ratings 50%.  Have another VA C&P next week by VA for re-eval.  I'd guess an increase from 10%, but who knows with the VA docs.  They may decrease me for the hell of it.  Then I'll get another opinion to overrule them again.  They are painful, palpable, discolored, and well documented in my records.  I'll let you know how it goes.

8 minutes ago, El Train said:

My face from collar up to cheek bones is scarred from bad cystic acne.  Easily 50% of my face.  The VA Doc denied me, the QTC second opinion disagreed with her and I was low balled at 10%.  Got a third opinion from a Dr. I hired who suggested based on VA ratings 50%.  Have another VA C&P next week by VA for re-eval.  I'd guess an increase from 10%, but who knows with the VA docs.  They may decrease me for the hell of it.  Then I'll get another opinion to overrule them again.  They are painful, palpable, discolored, and well documented in my records.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Did you have to prove the acne was service connected first?

3 minutes ago, broncovet said:

"Distortion" is an example of a "judgement call" made by the decision maker.  Did your doc mention "distortion"?  

Not sure. But all the scars checked off almost all the boxes of the 8 characteristics for rating scars. I guess the rater can just look at all the pictures. 

Just an update.  I got increased from 10% to 80%.  Painful scarring on neck, face, back, and chest, with palpable tissue, underlying tissue damage, gross distortion.  Fairly significant increase I would say.