VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Banking in my new life

Rate this topic

Wanderer

Hope this sub forum is ok for this topic.

I have to pay some fees from a couple checking accounts I crashed then I hope to open a checking account. 

Is there much of an advantage to use a military affiliated or marketed bank like USAA or Navy FCU over say, Wells Fargo, Bofa, or typical banks?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get whichever is the best deal.  Many times its a tradeoff.  For example USAA pretty much has "no" local branches, and is all online.  The good part:  No atm fees with USAA.  Credit unions are usually better than banks, BUT, they have limited ATMs and you have to pay fees with the rest.  Chase may be the largest bank with a very large number of branches and atms.  

You have to decide what is important to you.  

If you "crashed" a checking account, then it may not be easy to open an account.  They report you,sometimes, and you cant always open a new account until . you fix the "crashed accounts" first.  This assumes maybe yu had bounced checks..pardon me if I am wrong.  Maybe that is not what you meant by "crashed" accounts.  

14 minutes ago, broncovet said:

Get whichever is the best deal.  Many times its a tradeoff.  For example USAA pretty much has "no" local branches, and is all online.  The good part:  No atm fees with USAA.  Credit unions are usually better than banks, BUT, they have limited ATMs and you have to pay fees with the rest.  Chase may be the largest bank with a very large number of branches and atms.  

You have to decide what is important to you.  

If you "crashed" a checking account, then it may not be easy to open an account.  They report you,sometimes, and you cant always open a new account until . you fix the "crashed accounts" first.  This assumes maybe yu had bounced checks..pardon me if I am wrong.  Maybe that is not what you meant by "crashed" accounts.  

Right, I knew I was on their reporting system, I've just been waiting for the funds to make amends and getting my banking accounts going again. I owe about $800 to two banks, so there's that to factor in. What pisses me off is they are 90% fees that kept accumulating as I struggled financially. A few years ago banks would wipe most of the fee portion out but it could be worse. Just paid Wells Fargo.

Thanks for the bank info. I like no ATM foreign fees with USAA. Is that for any ATM machines? I don't need a physical branch so much, I think.

I personally recommend Navy Federal if you qualify for an account.  They have the best fee structure and are very forgiving.  You pay to use ATM's but that is because their branches are hard to find.  I have been a member for 53 years or so and use them for most of my banking.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use