VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ebenefit account hacked March 2019

Rate this question

Rreydan Soriano

Question

My Ebenefits account just got hacked and I I didnt receive my check on March 1,, 2019, My check gor rerouted too a fraudelent account.  Somebody got into my ebenefit account and change my direct deposit information,How long will it take the VA to put my check back into my account?

That is very concerning- I cannot imagine how that could happen.

I suggest you call Pres Trump's White House Veterans hot line- 1-855-948-2311

If someone can hack your ebenefits account, I bet they can hack thousands of ebenefits accounts.,...

how did you find out it was actually hacked?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Look up "how to prevent identity theft". Never, ever, use the same passwords across different accounts. In fact, don't even use similar-looking passwords because a little bit of guesswork could bypass them. If someone can get one of them, it makes it easy to get others.

Additionally, contact your bank and file a police report. Banks can trace the transaction to a person or entity.

Also, contact ebenefits support. They will have IP address logs of the morons who did this to you. That would help trace it back to the source device used to login and make the changes.

I wish you the best of luck getting this resolved. I hope the perpetrator gets busted and goes to jail for a long time.

I understand how this could happen.  There are at least 2 ways this could happen. 

1.  Carelessness on the part of the Veteran. As an example  He could use "1 password" for everything, then when the hacker got one password, he could try that on other accounts.  People often download "cute little things" to their computer..such as those funny face icons..along with a key logger that records and sends the username and password to the hacker...Boom..he is in.  

2.  "Brute force" attacks.  This involves computers trying out millions of passwords on millions of accounts until they find one that works.  

For the above reasons, I have "ditched" all my "Windows" computers in favor of the much more secure Linux Mint, and Apple computers.  I estimate there is malware to attack 10,000 Windows computer to every malware that attacks Apple and Linux mint computers.  My computers are virus free, and I dont need anti virus software.  

One person once told me he "couldnt have a virus" because he scanned it with anti virus software.  Not so.  That is like saying "you cant be a crime victim because your town has a police force".  You are better off living in a safe area where there are very few police, rather than in a big city where there are thousands of police..and milions of criminals.  

Edited by broncovet

Sorry to hear that.

I would advise to you to change all your passwords to anything important...like banks... asap. Also any good banks will also offer you the option of two factor authentication. Authenticator app on your phone are an extra layer to combat basic user name password hack. 

Having access to your EBenefits account has given this person valuable information (PHI, PII) about you. From there they could gain access to other accounts. And of course steal your identity!

File a police report. Lock your credit with all three credit agencies.

Call the Ebenies website and report this.  It could be something as simple as a computer issue or fat fingers by someone....and not an actual hack.

But yes as Vync mentioned, if you call them and report this...they might be able to access the logs and see when and where any changes came from. This will help them determine of this is an actual hacking incident or not.

Good luck

You can also do some detective work yourself.

Log into the DS logon self service. It will show you all the websites and apps controlled by DS Logon that your account has accessed.

https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/identitymanagement/authenticate.do?execution=e1s1

I was just able to pull up months of time and date and what was logged into.

Rreydan Soriano it happened to me in January this year.

Begin here: Go to your VARO and get a document stating you did not receive your first month pay for March 01, 2019 so you can give to your bill collectors showing proof your account was hacked.

1. Call DMDC Support Center 1-800-477-8227 to put a flag on you ebenefits account until you remove it yourself.

2. Call ebenefits 1-800-983-0937 to let them know what happened and to verify your account was hacked.

3. Call Myhealthevet 1-877-327-0022

4. Call VHA 1-877-222-8387

To make sure any of your other info hasn't been breached.

Go to your VARO and get a document stating you did not receive your first month pay for March 01, 2019 so you can give to your bill collectors showing proof.