VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why was SMC and DEA added to my claim

Rate this question

Mikey33T

Question

I submitted a RAMP appeal for PTSD backpay and increase. EBenefits recently added SMC and eligibility for dependent education assistance. I was told that the SMC was for aid and assistance. Why would these 2 contentions be added and what does it provide, if anything?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

The M21manual requires VA to adjuticate SMC S (housebound) whenever a single 100 percent disability is awarded.  

Further, if you are 100 percent P and T, then you are eligible for DEA, and your VARO letter should state the same.  This is education benefits for your kids, and it could be a very big deal if they intend to go to college.  It means they could get money when they go to college full time.  

This could mean 1224 per month, per child who is in college.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/resources/benefits_resources/rates/ch35/ch35rates100118.asp

And a 100% P & T designation means that your dependents should be eligible for CHAMPVA-the VA Civilian Health and Medical Program.

Their web site has all the info and the application is there at the site.

https://nvf.org/champva-civilian-health-and-medical-program/

Depending on the 100% P & T EED  that VA gave you, their could even be potential retro benfefits under these programs.

I have used both CHAMPVA and DEA and they are fabulous benefits.

When my original DEA limiting date ran out, I paid an addition 8 thousand to finish my degree.

Then I subsequently proved my husband died directly to his service (AO)and DEA had to give me a new limiting date as well as, and with proof of my paid tuition for the period in which I paid for it myself, they refunded the 8 thousand.

Also the VA will extend the age barrier under DEA, ( which I believe is still age 26) with any period of military service, regarding the dependent.

What I mean is that my daughter served 7 years and her DEA entitlement date included those 7 years to her DEA eligibility period.

You might be eligible for some property tax exceptions as well.

Here in NY vets get exemptions under 3 theories, but the exception only covers 2.

As a widow of a deceased 100% SC P & T vet I get two exceptions on my property taxes.

Broncovet and Berta, thanks for the response. I don’t know if I received a 100% rating; I’m still waiting for the decision. That would be nice if that was the outcome. I was just taken back by the recent addition of these 2 contentions because I didn’t ask or know about them. Thanks again.

That’s usually a good sign next if you had an attorney would be another claim for figuring out attorney fees. But sounds like a good outcome