VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD Medication

Rate this question

navyguy357

Question

I'm currently talking setraline, hydroyzine, and prazosin to get a diagnosis for PTSD. Sleeping has improved and I am better able to get through the day at work and personal life without having panic attacks or nightmares. Symptoms have not gone away completely but better. Is the medication I'm taking normally linked to PTSD or are they the  beginning medicine that doctors start with?  I've been working on getting my diagnosis for about 4 months now and my record states my diagnosis for PTSD is not yet confirmed. I'm thinking the doctor is waiting on me to state medicine is working or is better so she can make the diagnosis or change medication. She has changed dosage a couple of times already. How should I proceed before making a claim?

5 answers to this question

A diagnosis of PTSD is less about medications or  symptoms, more about "verification of stressor" in service.  

Do you have your stressor documented?  If not, that is likely the reason for the hesitancy in diagnosing PTSD.  Compensation for PTSD requires documentation of a stressor.  EXCEPTION: 

If you are a combat Vet, then a stressor is pretty much assumed.  Even if you never shot at anyone or even got shot at, its enough just the threat of being shot at.  

Edited by broncovet

• Lead Moderator

This is a great question and I am sure there dozens of ways to get this done. I can only go on what happened to me. I had a C&P with a doctor on PA who the VA said could do it. They ran thought the questionnaire and I answered what symptoms I had and how bad they are not on meds. For me the condition is not better if i don’t need meds to curb it. I did not have a diagnosis for PTSD prior, but after this I did  

This was my fastest claim they came back at 30% and I feel I should be at 50% so I have been on appeal for 5 years.  

I am sure someone else here could answer this better.  Just my experience. 

Also I am a combat vet. 

Edited by shrekthetank1

1 hour ago, broncovet said:

A diagnosis of PTSD is less about medications or  symptoms, more about "verification of stressor" in service.  

Do you have your stressor documented?  If not, that is likely the reason for the hesitancy in diagnosing PTSD.  Compensation for PTSD requires documentation of a stressor.  EXCEPTION: 

If you are a combat Vet, then a stressor is pretty much assumed.  Even if you never shot at anyone or even got shot at, its enough just the threat of being shot at.  

Yes I have a documented stressor in my record and have been seeing a psychologist and psychiatrist to help.

6 hours ago, navyguy357 said:

I'm currently talking setraline, hydroyzine, and prazosin to get a diagnosis for PTSD. Sleeping has improved and I am better able to get through the day at work and personal life without having panic attacks or nightmares. Symptoms have not gone away completely but better. Is the medication I'm taking normally linked to PTSD or are they the  beginning medicine that doctors start with?  I've been working on getting my diagnosis for about 4 months now and my record states my diagnosis for PTSD is not yet confirmed. I'm thinking the doctor is waiting on me to state medicine is working or is better so she can make the diagnosis or change medication. She has changed dosage a couple of times already. How should I proceed before making a claim?

A PTSD diagnosis will only be diagnosed if your reported symptoms consistently score a 33 or higher on your PCL-5 questionnaire. If I'm not mistaken.

I will research further.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Here is a PTSD checklist found on the VA's web site:

https://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/assessment/adult-sr/ptsd-checklist.asp

There is a lot that should be reviewed before coming to a PTSD diagnosis. However, if you are not currently SC for a MH disability, you don't need to wait for a diagnosis before filing for SC disability. The VA will only grant a single MH rating regardless of the number of diagnosed MH issues. The rating would be based on the impact the MH disability has on your occupational and social life.