VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What is chronic pharyngitis rated under?

Rate this question

dsd84dsd

Question

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• Lead Moderator

Diseases of the Throat

Military Disability ratings for the respiratory system

The throat is comprised of the pharynx, larynx and trachea. The pharynx is the part of the throat that connects the nose, mouth, trachea, and esophagus. At the bottom of the pharynx, the trachea splits from the esophagus and leads to the lungs (the esophagus leads to the stomach). Near the top of the trachea is the larynx or “voice box”. This is where the vocal cords are located.

Code 6516: Chronic laryngitis is the swelling of the larynx that regularly lasts more than 3 weeks. If it causes hoarseness when speaking and there are either growths in the larynx or on the vocal cords, or if there are pre-cancerous tumors, it is rated 30%. If it causes hoarseness when speaking and the vocal cords or larynx walls are swollen, it is rated 10%.

Code 6518: A laryngectomy is the removal of the larynx. In a total laryngectomy, the entire larynx is removed, and the trachea is separated from the pharynx. After a total laryngectomy, breathing is done through a hole in the throat. A total laryngectomy is rated 100%. A partial laryngectomypartiallaryn.bmp is not rated under this code, but is rated on any lasting symptoms like laryngitis (code 6516), the inability to speak (code 6519), or a narrowed larynx (code 6520).

Additional compensation may be given by the VA for the loss of the larynx. See the Special Monthly Compensation to see if your condition qualifies.

Code 6519: Aphonia is the inability to speak that is caused by an infection, injury or disease. If it is caused by a psychological condition, it is not ratable. If you cannot communicate through speech at all, it is rated 100%. If you can speak, but not louder than a whisper, it is rated 60%. If you have been diagnosed with incomplete aphonia, and you can speak, but there are times when you can’t or it is very difficult to, then the condition is rated as laryngitis under code 6516.

Your condition may also qualify for additional compensation by the VA. Please see the Special Monthly Compensation page for more information.

Code 6520: Stenosis of the larynx is when the larynx narrows and the opening to the trachea becomes unusually small, causing difficulty speaking and breathing. If the larynx was injured, then any leftover symptoms from the injury can also be rated under this code. These conditions are either rated on the following system, or as the inability to speak, code 6519, whichever is most appropriate for the condition and provides the higher rating.

If the FEV-1 is less than 40% and the Flow-Volume Loop shows an upper airway obstruction, or if there is a permanent tracheostomypermanent.bmp, then it is rated 100%. If the FEV-1 is 40-55% and the Flow-Volume Loop shows an upper airway obstruction, it is rated 60%. If the FEV-1 is 56-70% and the Flow-Volume Loop shows an upper airway obstruction, it is rated 30%. If the FEV-1 is 71-80% and the Flow-Volume Loop shows an upper airway obstruction, it is rated 10%.

Code 6521: Any injuries of the pharynx are rated under this code. If the injuries caused the pharynx at any point (up near the nasal passage to down near the larynx) to narrow or become completely blocked, or if the soft palate has been removed or is missing because of injury, chemical burns or growths on it, or if the soft palate cannot move and causes difficulty swallowing and speaking, it is rated 50%.

• Lead Moderator

https://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.jsp this is where I had to do most of my research for my rare disease which the va did not give a code to.  My mistake was letting them decide which code fit.  I would search prior decisions and see what others before you used.  Then when you file include the citation and highlight the parts that apply.

or you can let them pick and then get lowballed.  then do the research and find out what really fits then fight for another 5-7 years on appeal.

You posted:

My mistake was letting them decide which code fit.

Like we have any choice on this matter???  This is pretty much standard:  First deny, then lowball, then hornswaggle the effective date.  The VA posits, "Why make the VEteran go through ONE appeal, when we can make him go through 4?"  Instead of it taking 5 to 7 years, mine has taken 17 years (since I applied in 2002), and only "may" be resolved this year.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe it would be rated under the code of 6521  which as a 50% rating

since chronic pharyngitis  is part of the of the pharynx.