VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

BVA Pending with Judge

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I am hoping someone can explain to me what is happening with my BVA case. I filed a BVA for two issues, SA and hypertension via RAMP. They have been with a judge now for two months. The odd this is there is a second BVA claim originally for four items and recently went to nine items. Is what makes this so odd is that I have only filed one BVA claim. Now I did a RAMP for a higher level review for four items for a EED, but that has already been decided. Does anyone have an idea of what may be going on?

I have called the BVA number and spoke with someone about the two appeals but they could not answer why.

Thanks.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Just a guess but VA is required to combine additional claims that relate to original claim.  So while judge administrative assistant reviewed claim and knew of additional disabilities connected to that claim they would be added on as "inferred".  "VA should not initiate development of an inferred issue unless the evidence indicates VA may be able to grant the benefit."  It sounds like your evidence indicated more that just the claim you filed.

Perhaps, but for SA and hypertension I am not aware of anything else that would be related. The second appeal listed is what I believe is the SA and hypertension. The below is copied from VETS.gov website.

Issues on appeal: External popliteal nerve paralysis and 9 others

• External popliteal nerve paralysis
  • Sciatic nerve paralysis
  • Anterior crural nerve paralysis
  • Anterior crural nerve paralysis

Issues on appeal: 2 compensation issues

• Compensation issue
  • Compensation issue

Is it possible that your evidence suggests unemployability? 

"There are two rules that have been established in regards to what the BVA must consider. One rule says that the BVA is required to address all possible legal theories that would service connect a disability or death benefit claim as long as the theory is reasonably raised by the evidence in the record. The second rule says that if there is evidence that of unemployability on the record, the BVA must address the issue of entitlement to a 100% rating due to individual unemployability regardless of whether or not the veteran specifically raised this issue."

@dlv I am employed full-time right now (plan on retiring in October of this year). So they should not be looking at unemployablity. In my personal opinion the VA has made many errors on my previous claims and perhaps the BVA is trying to rectify them, at least that is what I hope. It has been with the judge almost two months now so I am hoping for a decision within the next 30 - 45 days.

• Lead Moderator

So I had something like this happening to me, where when they were looking at a new claim an old claim came up.  I am assuming it has to do with not overlapping conditions.  This is only a guess as until they tell you, it is very hard to know.  Looks like there could be a remand in your future.