VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Effective date on recent appeal

Rate this question

firedog974

Question

Hi all,

I recently won a RAMP appeal that originally started Jan 2016 when I put in a claim for PTSD.  I received my decision letter today, and the effective date is March 5, 2019.  Just wondering if anyone has any advice on where to go from here, as I feel the VA (as usual) screwed this one up.  In my decision letter it states the reasoning for the effective date as follows-"You were diagnosed with just alcohol use disorder on Aug 24, 2016 VA initial PTSD exam. Alcohol use disorder by itself is not a disability for VA purposes.  You now have a diagnosis of PTSD, therefore alcohol use disorder was included with it. We have assigned an effective date of March 5, 2019 which is the day the facts found show that you had a diagnosis of PTSD. An evaluation of 50% is assigned March 5, 2019"   So a little back story, when I initially filed, at the C&P exam, the shrink told me they could not find evidence of the stressor event, so he stated he could not diagnose me with PTSD (couldn't just take my word for it).  I filed an appeal when I received my denial letter, and submitted a report from my doctor with a diagnosis of PTSD, and began doing my own research to verify my stressor (The VA advised much of my personnel record was missing).  I submitted a lot of evidence during my appeal, and was finally granted it.  So is the VA essentially saying we know you filed for a PTSD rating over 3 years ago, but despite what your doctor said, the effective date is only when our doctor diagnosis you?   Is this correct, or is the VA wrong?  Any input for my next step (if there is one) would be appreciated.  

On 4/3/2019 at 7:36 PM, Scatback said:

Hi Everyone I've learned so much from this site over the past 5 years.  I was granted service connection for PTSD (02/28/2019) and I am in the same boat.  My effective date is the date of my last C&P (01/31/2019) even though I had a diagnosis from a private doc from and never let my claim close.  I just filed an appeal using the higher level review lane (03/28/2019) so I will try and post my  timeline and eventual outcome.

How did your appeal go?