VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

It is beneficial to submit a medical journal article for my claim?

Rate this question

Wanderer

Question

My claim for obstructive sleep apnea is in the last couple of weeks of evidence gathering and decision phase. I found a medical article from the NIH dated 2009 that supports my claim that sleep apnea is caused by my 30% rated asthma. I'm considering copy/pasting the article in a word document and including the link with a key paragraph highlighted.

I contend the sleep apnea damaged my brain from prolonged oxygen deprivation (I found another article that discusses this brain damage observed through patient cognitive decline and MRI exams- *should that be included too? The link is below) since I suddenly came down with such symptoms (memory loss, confusion, agitation that interferes with life activities), disabling me since September 2017.

This is it, if anyone wants to check it out. The key section is titled:  WHY ASTHMATIC PATIENTS ARE MORE PREDISPOSED TO DEVELOP OSAS

Or would submitting them not help and slow the decision too much?

Edited by Wanderer
To add detail re brain damage and add link

3 answers to this question

I would probably not advise it.  You see, you need evidence that "YOUR" sleep apnea is related to "YOUR" Asthma, not people in the study group from NIH.  This can only come from a doctor who would opine "your OSA is at least as likely as not related to your SC asthma".  To win it, you need the Caluza elements, and most of the other stuff is just noise.  

(You might try giving the article to your doc, but he may or may not agree).  

Thanks, bronc, my C&P examiner did report that it's more than 50% likely the sleep apnea is secondary to asthma. I hope that may suffice.

Edit: But he's not a sleep or pulmonary Dr.

Edited by Wanderer

During my appeal, my VSO and I referenced a couple articles from some their (the VA) website and the judge took it "under advisement". In the end, he approved my claims so whether it helped or not, I don't know.

But I would follow Broncovet's advice. At least wait until your appeal hearing before doing something like that.

Sgt. Wilky

I had submitted articles with my SA claim and the rater in the denial that there was no evidence that the articles I submitted prove that I had SA. As above I also agree with Brocovet's advice.