VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

CORRELATION BETWEEN PTSD & ADHD

Rate this question

t28survivor

Question

My civilian doctor made a correlation - he used the word overlaid - between my ADHD and PTSD.  This was news to me, but I researched it and found that  there are indeed many, indeed mostly, identical symptoms.  

I went down in my T-28 in basic flight training (engine failure) in 1973, survived (went on to get my wings) and am now revisiting some physical and emotional issues in a VA Disability claim that are rooted in that crash. It's an uphill battle in a downhill body.  If there is anybody out there in the same boat that has had a similar experience with regard to ADHD and PTSD and has filed and been successful with the VA I'd like to hear from you.  Keep in mind that I wasn't even diagnosed with ADHD until 1997 when I was in marriage counseling.  It kind of made sense at the time, but now I am beginning to wonder if the crash exacerbated it  

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Have you had your C&P exam for PTSD yet? 

Folks with ADHD, which is a disorder with an onset during childhood (although it can continue into adulthood), are probably more likely to develop PTSD. 

I can certainly see PTSD aggravating pre-existing ADHD beyond its normal course and progression. From a VA disability benefits perspective, this is the most important relationship between the disorders. If an examiner concludes, and VBA agrees, that PTSD exacerbated your ADHD, and that this exacerbation (aggravation) led to even more social & occupational impairment than the PTSD alone would cause, the combined effects of PTSD and ADHD are compensable.