VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Amending a claim in progress

Rate this question

pendragonxx7

Question

I went to my c&p exam and found out my migraines are connected to an active duty neck injury that I didn’t claim. It’s also caused my neck vertebrae to be straightened and is pinching a nerve causing numbness down my forearm to my thumb, which I thought was unrelated. How can I add these to my claim that is in progress because all I put on the paperwork was the migraines. She did xrays and everything so the paper trail is already there. Or do they rate it automatically since it was found in the exam?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Apply for a new claim for the neck injury.  No, dont count on them to do it "automatically".  Thats like "automatically" winning the lottery.  Then ask for your migraines secondary.  

I have done this twice in the past when a C&P examiner mentioned an additional potential disability.  However, I let the current claim run its course and then did a new claim (both were secondaries) to a current disability.

I have never sent in additional claims when one was in the works.  But thats me.

FWIW,

Hamslice

You can find out how much it will cost you by waiting to file a claim (its the same for a claim for increase), here:

Each month you delay will be that amount: (it depends on the percentage increase).  

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/resources_comp01.asp

Now, here is kinda the good news.  If your claim is RECEIVED by the VA by March 31, then you will get paid for April, if awarded.  

However, if your claim is received any day in April, your pay wont begin until May.  (You get paid on the first day of the month following the effective date)