VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

No current treatment record/history

Rate this question

marinemail05

Question

So i've been out for almost 10 years and during this time I have avoided going to the Dr even though I suffer from Migraines, can't sleep, severe allergeries, etc.  I just suck it up and take over the counter medication/alcohol to get through the pain. Now that I'm getting older, its getting harder to just "suck it up" and i think it's time to get some help.  I went to the DAV to see about filing for my conditions and they said that it will be very hard to get anything since I have not being treated for this issues over the last 10 years. All of these conditions were reported in my medical record while on active duty but since getting out I've avoided the Dr for anything other than emergencies. DAV did submit a claim for me but they recommended i go see a primary care provider right away and let them know of all the issues i'm having. Thoughts on this? what's my best plan of action in this scenario. Thank you

5 answers to this question

The Calusa triangle is to have a condition noted in your service records, evidence of a chronic condition, and a doctor's statement that the condition is as likely as not incurred due to service.  You appear to have the first one but lack the second two.  I am most concerned with the fact that you have been medicating with alcohol.  Do you have combat in your service records?  You may be suffering from a mental condition also.  As brokensoldier noted you need to get in and get treatment. 

• Lead Moderator

Go get treatment!  As for getting benefits it sounds like you need to get current treatment and then apply for benefits. So something that has helped my claims are lay statements from friends, family, and yourself!  Also when you apply go through your medical records and get the evidence they will need to see to service connect you. Your claim will go much faster if you have everything vquest stated.  

Get current treatment. If you haven't been treated for it they don't have a record, just like they said. It will make applying for anything challenging at best unless you have something current, and a progression of treatment, to support the claim. 

In addition to the excellent advice you've received from your fellow vets, I'll briefly share from an examiner's perspective.

I learned from my friends who are veterans and from the many veterans I evaluated over the years that the "rules of the game" change dramatically when services members leave the military and enter the world of being a veteran.

In the military, seeing the doc for anything that's serious or chronic will likely hurt your career and you'll go from "Awesome member of the team" to "Potential liability". 

Then, when you enter the world of being a veteran all of a sudden everyone is exclaims, "What?! You haven't sought treatment? You gotta do that man."  I don't mean in any way to discount the advice you've received here--I totally agree with it. I'm simply highlighting the stark contrast between life in the military vs. life as a veteran. 

My main point is that decent C&P examiners know that there are many possible reasons why a veteran hasn't sought treatment before. 

When and if it seems appropriate (trust your gut) tell your examiners in a brief, matter-of-fact way (like you did here) why you put off treatment for so long. Don't belabor the point. 

Finally, as others have said, when you go for treatment appointments, try to put your disability claim out of your head. Ask yourself, "If I didn't have a pending claim, what would I say? How would I act?"

I've had severe allergies since I was a teenager and they're awful. People who don't have them really don't understand (unless they're medical folks.) But over the years my doctors have found treatments that work for me and now the allergies are a nuisance, but tolerable. Allergies are just one of the ailments you're dealing with, but my point is that treatment is often quite helpful.

All the best,

Mark