VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

1st Claim ever......Need Help!

Rate this question

Mcbwv

Question

I am using a DAV representative about 4 hours from me so questions have been through email and phone. I am applying for several disabilities and have requested records from St Louis and have been told a 6 month wait. In the mean time  last week i was diagnosed as having severe PTSD at the VA scored a 57 on the DSM-V with 17 symptoms. I have a follow up appointment next week. This is stemming from indirect mortar and rocket fire from 2010-2011. I have my orders showing I was in country during the event. Should I go ahead and file for PTSD and hearing and tinitus now or wait for the rest of my documentation for two other non related disabilities from the 90's? Since I am not service connected I'm using my insurance and paying copays for treatment and will soon be prescribed medication. Long story short...... do I have a strong enough case to file ptsd anand hearing now? Or continue treatment? Is it ok to file separate claims or just wait and submit one after receiving documentation for the others?  I have 7 years active duty and 24 total with air national guard with various sets of orders with active duty times....... thanks for any advice....

On 4/4/2019 at 11:50 AM, Mcbwv said:

My other question without buddy statements....... I do have emails that I sent while deployed detailing attacks pretty much as I experienced them. Could that be used in my claim in any way?   

The emails would be pertinent documentation for the unit records to be located sooner rather than later; since the emails would have the dates of when the attacks occurred confirming your stressor or stressors. The emails may hold some weight, so submit them with your evidence. 

My next question is the  change in 2010 in the criteria for verification of the stressor for the fear of a hostile action. Is that if your service or the area you were deployed indicates that the event more than likely happened during that timeframe in that area then lay statement from the claimant is sufficient if the diagnosis and nexis is there. And from my reading they did this to cut down on times for verifying stressors. Is this correct? or will they still need morning reports or verification from JSRRC. My next question I'm Airforce and how do I go about gathering that information myself?

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes  JSRRC will check on these records.

you ALSO can give  the location and date you witness the event   and if its within 10 days I belive they will accept that.  they will check on the event that happen on the dates you give and the locations. (this gives you credibility)

If you were deployed in a combat zone   your DD214 Should have it on there and your unit you served with   this is all you need   because in 2010 they  accept a veterans combat service or being deployed to a combat zone as the stressors will be automatically Accepted

Edited by Buck52

Ok I have my dd214, I have my orders, I have an Iraq campaign medal. Since my service doesnt not issue CIB .It's also in the VA system I received hostile fire pay for that time period. I have emails as stated above that I sent while in country that could serve as lay statements. I have specific dates as well. My question per the 2010 change in requirment ot would not require JSRRC verification?Not that I mind it should be an easy verification. Does the VA not follow their change? I also understand in most circumstances there is no rhyme or reason sometimes what the do and it's an uphill battle. 

• Lead Moderator
7 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Yes  JSRRC will check on these records.

you ALSO can give  the location and date you witness the event   and if its within 10 days I belive they will accept that.  they will check on the event that happen on the dates you give and the locations. (this gives you credibility)

If you were deployed in a combat zone   your DD214 Should have it on there and your unit you served with   this is all you need   because in 2010 they  accept a veterans combat service or being deployed to a combat zone as the stressors will be automatically Accepted

Buck is correct and I am not sure why it took so long for them to realize that combat is a stressor!   I think my ptsd was my fastest claim. It was done in less than 3 months. Lowballed but still completed. 

Ok I believe I'm almost ready to submit my claim.... VA-526EZ , Orders for the deployment to Iraq, DD214 also after the deployment. I printed out my VA medical record from My Healthy Vet, I have also included emails I sent to friends and coworkers that gives timeframes to some of the incidents mentioned in the claim, as well as the VBA-21-0781. My question is I have ready about stressor statements. Is it ok for descriptions of incidents to enter " See attachment" ? I have attached a word document in detail of my stressor? Is there anything else that would possibly help? I am not getting much guidance from my DAV rep.