VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P and Meds

Rate this question

SPO

Question

So after months of IT and other issues with the VA, they went from working strictly off medical opinion to asking for physical exam.  The exam has been sent out to QTC.  Since this is for Arthritis I know they will be doing range of motion.  The problem is I just took my latest dose of meds to control this condition (I take it once every three months), and the meds do a pretty good job of controlling symptoms.  So basically this C&P will not go well for me since my symptoms aren't going to be as bad.  I don't believe for a second that they will take in to account what I say my worst day is like vs the day of exam.  How am I supposed to handle this without getting screwed? Or am I going to have to go without meds and be miserable just to show them how bad it can be?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Good that your case is now moving again.  Tell the examiner that you are on x medication and then explain what your worst day is.  They will take this into consideration if they are a good doctor.  Cross each bridge as you come to it and relax a little bit.  It takes a long time to move a claim through the VA and without some time off from your case you will wind up a basket case. 

When they send these cases out to contractors you can request a  reschedule one time ..... if this were me I would get the c/p exam rescheduled for the next month....... They are going to try too push you into an exam as soon as one is available, but you really can schedule it for the day and time you want it... Been there done this just last January.....

Even pushing out 1 month won't help since my med cycle last for 3 months,  I would have to push out to July to catch the end of the cycle.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I would suggest 2 things. Call your Patient Advocate at the VA hospital you go to and ask them what the rules are for rescheduling. They may say it's possible to re-schedule a few months out. If you can get a letter from your doctor about how the meds mask your symptoms, that might also be of help when you go for the C&P. Most importantly, whatever you do, do not skip the exam. You will be denied based on that alone.

So I got scheduled for tomorrow morning with a QTC doctor for my exam.  QTC sent me an email with the DBQs they are sending to the doctor, however, there is no mention of Range of motion test.  The DBQ for all the different joints stops right before that point.  So is the doctor supposed to know to test range of motion based on what I say, or am I set up for failure?

• HadIt.com Elder

From what I understand, if your disability requires that you be checked for range of motion and the C&P examiner doesn't do it, you don't tell him what to do. If the decision comes back and is favorable to you, you win. If it comes back negative or reduces your rating, you file a NOD. More than likely, you would have to get another C&P exam to include the range of motion stuff. That may be at a more favorable time relative to your medications. Anyway, I doubt that if you have to tell the examiner how he should do his job that it would go over very well with him/her. Just go with the flow.