VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

NOD Timeframe?

Rate this question

McRay

Question

I'm sorta double posting here,  I tacked this onto someone else's post, then read I should have posted it myself so it wouldn't get lost..

I filed a NOD this past November for an increase in my 50% PTSD/Unspecified Mental Condition award and for an earlier effective date. I'm wondering if anyone has updated information on how long it takes? I really don't know what RO my NOD is at, my case manager at attorney's office tells me that appeals are sent to many different locations, depending on workload now. No Monday Morning list to check.  It's my understanding the process has changed dramatically since Feb. and the new appeals process. On vets.gov it's telling me my appeal is with a DRO and will take anywhere from 10 to 22 months.

The reason I'm concerned about this is my atty is going to submit additional evidence from my C file that shows the VA didn't have all evidence at time of original denial in 1978 and is going to get an outside medical opinion and exam. My luck the VA will decide this before my atty submits new evidence and I will get to wait even longer.

4 answers to this question

No one can tell you how long it will take, it all depends on the RO and what letter of the alphabet they are working on this year.  You're only 4 to 5 months in so I would say that you have enough time for your attorney to submit the evidence.  Good luck.

If you dont trust the attorney's judgement, then maybe you should have a different attorney.  I do see it all the time.  Vets hire an attorney, then have differing opinions about what the attorney does in your behalf.  

If this is an experienced attorney, your best bet is to trust him.  

Going through these hoops is faster than getting a decision, then going through the hoops again, and going through appeals.  You choose.  

Doing it right the first time is almost always better than doing it over.  If you dont have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?