VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Psychologist not reporting

Rate this question

jamesriley1990

Question

Reluctantly I have been seeking treatment at the VA for my PTSD.  I was reading over the notes of my psychologist and she did a PTSD screening of me and she is misreporting or not reporting things that I stated during our last session. I told her that I was having nightmares about being in the military and that all I could remember was I was feeling scared and angry and during recent events, I felt as if I was reliving my past experiences. What can I do in this situation? 

• HadIt.com Elder

jamesriley1990 Quoted 

''Reluctantly I have been seeking treatment at the VA for my PTSD''.  

Why Reluctantly? VA Mental Health is one of the Best in the country for treating PTSD.

They are up to date on all the PTSD Criteria for treatment.

some times its the therapist.

you need to click with your therapist  ,,,you can always request a different one.

(jmo)

Edited by Buck52

• Lead Moderator

Buck is right.  Make sure to be very professional in the way you do ask about it.  Don't try to force them to change it, but them to see there is an issue and amend it.

So I used to go to the VA for PTSD, but I stopped after 6 months of therapy and when the doctor told me she believed she could cure me.  I asked how she was going to do this and she listed off a bunch of treatment and meds and meetings.  Her thoughts from what I could get where to break the link of what had happened and leave it there or forget about it. After that time with no change, and almost losing my job because I was at the VA so much I left there.  

I tried to explain to the doctors this is like I was shot with BAR and the bullet was still lodged in my body.  Can they give you tools to better deal with everything I have a lot now, but as for the wound it has healed to a degree, but the events have never stopped.   The bad thing is I told here I can't remember my dreams since the war, but I can feel I am dreaming about bad things as I wake up in such away.  They just dismissed this as a side effect.  

Now I have good counselors who know what you are dealing with and will just listen and not try to fix you.  You are not broken you just went through some crap and you need help dealing with it!

Edited by shrekthetank1

• HadIt.com Elder

Good counselors make a big difference in treatment for PTSD. 

One of my counselors showed me how to breathe certain way when I have a anxiety attact ...  so now  when I start to have anxiety or feel it coming on I do that breathing she showed me and it certainly helps.

Some times if therapy by one on one seems like its not helping much  you may feel better right after the session  but after you get home the same old crap starts up...

one of the things that may help you is group therapy  were the veterans are just them self and talk about anything other than the war.

• Lead Moderator

So I stopped going to the VA and they referred me to our vet center here in NE.  I had an issue with the doctor kept saying on we can cure your PTSD, ok.  Tried it for 6 months and had no changes, but did have a very hard time at work, because they wanted me at the VA a lot.  

After going to the vet center, they had counselors who had dealt with veterans with PTSD.  They would listen and not just try to fix something that is beyond repair.  They did give some good advice on how to deal with situations when they happen, and to meditate into a better place.  So they gave me tools to deal with my PTSD.  

Just remember you have other options, but they don't always tell you that.

• HadIt.com Elder

jamesriley1990

I would confront the Dr or the L.C.S.W. therapist face to face next appointment , make copies if what they mention to you in your last appointment with them.( off myhealthvet notes)..and say I don't recall you mention this Dr ? ...if you did I must not heard you  can you explain this ?

Next time you see this Dr  or L,C,S,W, Therapist  you may want to ask them about what they said   in your last appointment. simply make copies off MyHealthVet Notes And mention that you do not recall them saying this and show  them a copy of what they said  that you never heard them say or they didn't actually say it.?

.you do this face to face with them but be polite about it   simply request they make an ADDENDUM  to it.

They are not allowed to delete it  unfortunately it will always be in your records  but they can make an amends to correct it  with a ADDENDUM

Edited by Buck52

1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

jamesriley1990

I would confront the Dr or the L.C.S.W. therapist face to face next appointment , make copies if what they mention to you in your last appointment with them.( off myhealthvet notes)..and say I don't recall you mention this Dr ? ...if you did I must not heard you  can you explain this ?

Next time you see this Dr  or L,C,S,W, Therapist  you may want to ask them about what they said   in your last appointment. simply make copies off MyHealthVet Notes And mention that you do not recall them saying this and show  them a copy of what they said  that you never heard them say or they didn't actually say it.?

.you do this face to face with them but be polite about it   simply request they make an ADDENDUM  to it.

They are not allowed to delete it  unfortunately it will always be in your records  but they can make an amends to correct it  with a ADDENDUM

CLINICAL REMINDER ACTIVITY PTSD Screening: PC-PTSD-5+I9 PTSD Screening Score: 0 RILEY, JAMES CHRISTOPHER CONFIDENTIAL Page 9 of 34 The score for this administration is 0, which indicates a NEGATIVE screen for PTSD in the past month. Suicide Screening Score: 0 The results of this administration revealed no suicidal ideation over the last 2 weeks, which indicates a NEGATIVE primary screen for Risk of Suicide.

Questions 1-5 reference a time frame of the past month Sometimes things happen to people that are unusually or especially frightening, horrible or traumatic. Have you ever experienced this kind of event? NO

1. Had nightmares about the event(s) or thought about the event(s) when you did not want to? Response not required due to responses to other questions.

2. Tried hard not to think about the event(s) or went out of your way to avoid situations that reminded you of the event(s)? Response not required due to responses to other questions.

3. Been constantly on guard, watchful, or easily startled? Response not required due to responses to other questions.

4. Felt numb or detached from people, activities, or your surroundings? Response not required due to responses to other questions.

5. Felt guilty or unable to stop blaming yourself or others for the event(s) or any problems the event(s) may have caused? Response not required due to responses to other questions.

6. Over the last 2 weeks, how often have you been bothered by thoughts that you would be better off dead or of hurting yourself in some way? Not at All

Question 1: I stated I had nightmares about the military but I had difficulty remembers what happened in the dream only that I felt fear and anger.

Question 2: This session I was not asked about anything that happened in my past

Question 3: I said I was afraid to confront my wife's family because there were issues over a Will due to my father in law passing. And that I wanted a police presence.

Question 4: Told her I was depressed and lonely because I am at home without my wife and dog and I told her I have been having issues with work and my co workers

Question 5: never discussed the past only present

Question 6: This is correct